1938: You Didn't Connect Sh*t

Speedwagon…killed?

That couldn’t be right! Surely the man was mistaken—Speedwagon had survived Erina, he couldn’t be dead now! Who could have done this? As the founder of the Speedwagon Foundation, it's not like the man was without enemies. But for any of them to actually succeed? The chances were slim. Speedwagon was more than capable of taking care of himself and had proved it on multiple occasions.

“Rumor has it he was killed by a Tibetan monk,” The mafioso continued, undeterred by the reactions of Dio and the boys.

“A Tibetan monk…?” Joseph wondered out loud.

His eyes widened. 

“Straizo!”

Of course. No one else would have been close enough to Speedwagon to get in a hit. 

But why? What was on that dig that Straizo would be willing to kill one of his oldest friends for?

Unless...they actually found more?

“The bodies of Speedwagon and his team washed up along a river near Mexico. No one knows why they were killed or where the monk went.” The mafioso explained.

“JoJo!” Smokey shouted. “That man’s a mafioso! Don’t trust him! It must be a scheme!”

The mafioso shrugged, placing a cigar in his mouth.

“Believe what you want.” He fiddled in his pocket for a lighter.

Joseph scowled.

Dio saw the look and debated stopping him. But, if this was true...he’d have bigger problems than Joseph extending his—already far too long—criminal record.

I’ll have to find a way to contact her...

“If you want a lighter,” Joseph said. “Try your breast pocket.”

The mafioso gasped—distracted—and Joseph grabbed him by his lapels.

“Thanks for the warning, Smokey, but I believe what he says. These assholes are only after money. Information like that is valuable to the mob, so I believe it. But!” He slammed his fist into the man’s stomach. “Even if it is true, you can’t just say it! Especially to Speedwagon’s close family! Can’t you see you’ve upset us? You’re thoughtless!”

Joseph shoved the mafioso into the table behind him. He ran back to Dio’s side, attempting to comfort him.

“Don’t be worried, Gramps. You can handle anything that comes your way.”

Dio shook his head.

“No, Joseph. I’m not worried for myself. I’m worried for you. If only the events of 50 years ago could have stayed in the past…”

Joseph squeezed his shoulder encouragingly.

“I’ll be fine. If it’s my fate, I’ll accept it. 

“I have no doubt that you will.”

✩ - - - ✩ - - - ✩ - - - ✩ - - - ✩ - - - ✩

It was quiet in the house. Well, as quiet as Joseph's snores would let it be.

Dio shook his head fondly as the operator connected him through to Italy. 

A young woman's voice trickled through, her lilting Italian cutting through the slight static.

"Air Supplena, Suzie Quattro speaking, how can I help you?"

"Hello Suzie, can I speak to Lisa Lisa?"

There was a delay—which could have been the distance of the call—before the phone changed hands.

"Hello?"

A familiar voice rang into Dio's ear. He smiled.

"Hello, 'Lizabeth."

Dio's smile grew wider at the soft string of curses in multiple languages. It seemed that after all this time, her cursing habits hadn't changed.

"Dio?" The shock in her voice faded. "Aren't you in New York? How are you even calling me?"

Dio smirked.

"I have my ways. But, you know I wouldn't call you without good reason."

"Hmph. You always say that."

"And I always have a good reason."

Usually have a good reason.

Elizabeth's sigh echoed down the line.

"What is it this time?"

Dio's smile dropped from his face, his voice dark and face grim.

"Speedwagon was murdered."

There was silence.

"Who."

Elizabeth's voice was cold, harsh.

"Who did it?"

Dio swallowed. She wasn't going to like this.

"The reports say a Tibetian monk was responsible."

The string of expletives that rang down the line made Dio smile wryly.

She hasn't changed at all.

"Do you know what happened?"

"Barely. Speedwagon was investigating an archeological site that I believe was related to the Stone Mask. I hadn't heard from him in weeks. My guess is he found something bigger than he bargained for."

There was silence on the line and—for a moment—Dio thought the call had been disconnected. A sigh broke the silence.

"I...haven't spoken to Straizo since I moved to Air Supplena, Dio. He…" Another sigh. "Neither of us dealt with Dire's death well. I threw myself into my work here. I'd assumed he drowned himself in training, the way he always did."

Dio hmm-ed in agreement.

He hadn't been overly close with the monk—not in the way that he was close with Speedwagon—but they had known each other for a long time. For Straizo to kill Speedwagon...Dio had almost had trouble reconciling this new information with the man who had helped save him from Erina and raised Elizabeth.

Almost.

"It appears," Dio said, slowly, carefully, considering his words as he spoke. "That perhaps Dire's passing influenced his decision to kill Speedwagon. He and Dire we're inseparable, like brothers…perhaps…"

"He's looking for a way to bring him back?" Elisabeth questioned. "Is that even possible?"

"I doubt it. But I doubt Straizo was thinking rationally. Add the mask on top of it…" He shook his head. "Very little of our old friend remains."