14| Storm

Chapter 14: Storm (River's POV)

We're both sitting on a two-seater in the middle of the palace, right under the chandelier. Almost all the guests are here and the ones who aren't don't happen to be important enough to wait for. 

Right now, everyone's just coming over and congratulating us before the engagement officially happens and while I'm putting on a smile and thanking everybody, she is a raging storm of nerves. A storm. Scratch that. A freaking hurricane. Her leg has been bouncing up and down this whole time, she's been too lost in her own head to even listen and understand the things our guests are telling us, every time I bring her back to reality, she zoned out all over again. 

I knew she was nervous. But I didn't know it was this bad. 

She keeps looking at her parents, mostly her father. Like she's checking to see if she's done anything wrong yet. Like if she does do something wrong, he'll let all hell unleash on her. 

"We'll complete the ceremony now and start the party!" my mom announced, taking the golden tray from Mr. Garry and walking over, standing behind us. 

I know how an engagement party works. There are no vows, nothing to be said at all. We just exchange the rings and then everybody starts drinking. It's wilder than a wedding ceremony so it really is supposed to be a party. 

"River, you'll go first." 

I took the box and opened it, taking out the ring. 

She's still staring off into space, her leg bouncing up and down. 

"Bri," I whispered. 

She turned to me, her eyes wide. 

I feel bad for her, actually. I held my hand out and she placed her hand in mine slowly. I could even see her fingers shaking. "Just relax, okay?" I mumbled softly, putting the ring on her finger. 

Everybody clapped, cheered, and congratulated us loudly. 

"Brielle, now you." 

She turned to the tray, letting out a soft sigh. She grabbed the box and opened it, taking the ring out. She looked at it for a second. I know why she's looking at it. 

Because the inside of the ring reads in cursive 'I love you to the moon and back.' And it says that because her wedding ring has two crescent moons on it. It's a set. One for the bride, one for the groom. But she doesn't know that yet. 

She slowly slid the ring onto my finger and while everyone got busy cheering and clinking their glasses, I took the chance to grab her hand and put our locked hands down on her thigh so her leg would stop bouncing. 

She let out a huge sigh of relief and when everyone started leaving the foyer and going into the backyard where the party would actually be taking place, I let go of her hand and put my arm around her waist, pulling her closer to me until her leg pressed against mine. 

She turned to me. "What are you doing?" she mumbled. 

"Why were you so nervous? I told you, everything would be fine. See?" 

She blinked once. Then twice. She actually looks cute when she's flustered like this. 

"Won't you look at that?" We both looked forward, where Atlas was still standing. He walked over. "Congratulations, man," he smirked at me. "Hey, Brielle." 

"Hey, I haven't seen you in a while," she smiled. 

He nodded. "Family calls," he shrugged. 

"I heard, I'm really sorry," she replied.