03. THE KIDS AREN'T ALRIGHT

WALKING IN THE WIND.

(  03 — THE KIDS AREN'T ALRIGHT

(  03 — THE KIDS AREN'T ALRIGHT.  )

ON THE plane out of Madripoor, Calliope sat next to Bucky with her head resting on his shoulder. Pretending to be asleep as they took off. Sam on a call with his military buddy and Bucky cleaning his metal arm. Zemo off doing his own shit.

"You okay? . . ." Bucky asked as Sam sighed, sitting down in a seat across from the two.

"Yeah. Just thinking about all the shit Sharon had to go through—" Calliope ignored the urge to butt into this conversation as she bit her tongue. "And Nagel referring to the American test subject like he wasn't even a real person. Just makes me wonder how many people have to get steamrolled to make way for this hunk of metal."

"Well, it depends on who you ask. That hunk of metal save a lot of lives."

Sam confessed, "Yeah, I get that all right. Maybe I made a mistake."

"You did." Bucky quickly answered, cutting him off.

"No, maybe I shouldn't have put it in the museum, maybe I should have destroyed it."

"Look, that shield represents a lotta things to a lotta people, including me. The world is upside down, and we need a new Cap, and it ain't gonna be Walker. So, before you go and destroy it, I'm gonna take it from him myself."

Calliope picked up her head, joining the conversation, "And to add insult to injury, that shield was basically everything Steve represented, everyone he fought for. All his ideals are in that hunk of metal. He's not them, he's better. . . you're better," she paused, "He was the best of us — well, me."

Sam's phone started ringing and as he picked it up it had effectively ended their conversation, "Yeah, yeah, okay. Thanks, good work." He hung up, looking over to the two, "They found Madani. . . dead. She died in Riga, a city near the Baltic Sea."

"I have a place we can go," Zemo spoke up from his corner. "I, for one, am looking forward to coming face to face with Karli. Oeznik, we're changing the course."

"Hey, we can finally have that little vacay we talked about," she enthused hitting Bucky's biceps, earning a look from the two. "All right. Not the time, I get it."

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Trudging uphill to their destination, Zemo started rambling, "I heard what became of Sokovia. Cannibalized by its neighbors before the land was cleared of rubble, erased from the map. I don't suppose any of you bothered visiting the memorial?" He looked behind to the trio lagging behind, "Of course not. Why would you? We are here," he motioned to the building in front of them.

Calliope had noticed Bucky's absentmindedness, "You okay, Buck?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna go for a walk."