Chapter 10

(Ean's POV)

We all piled out of the van at a run-down looking apartment building at the edge of town, and followed Betelgeuse inside. Circe waved goodbye to Mac as he pulled out of the parking lot and sped away.

"So, what are we doing here?" I asked Circe, a little on edge after the display of utter chaos and power that Betelgeuse had put on back there.

"This is a safe house. Melody said she'd meet us here."

"Oh. Okay."

I couldn't really keep up much of a conversation with her. Between the not telling me what was happening to me and her infuriating, knowing look, I didn't really have a desire to carry on much of a dialogue with her.

I was just ready for all this to be over, and to hopefully get some form of an explanation from my mother. Although knowing her, that would probably be easier said than done.

The house was dimly lit, but overall not uncomfortable. The walls stretched tall up to vaulted ceilings, and the architecture was a gothic/Victorian style. The rooms were cast in a warm glow from the many lanterns adorning the walls, their delicate arms and designs adding to the elegant ambience. 

I looked around me in wonder. Yes, the house was a tad bit on the creepy side, but overall, it seemed extremely out of place for what I had seen thus far in the Netherworld. 

The group came into a large sitting room, where a massive fireplace hosted a warm blaze, casting dancing shadows on the floor and walls. Logan, June, Sofia, and I huddled close to it. I didn't even realize how cold I was until I felt the contrast of warmth against my icy skin. 

"So this is a safe house?" June said softly, rubbing her hands together and glancing around her.

I shrugged. "That's what Circe told me, but at this point, I don't know that I trust what she says."

Logan arched an eyebrow at me. "What do you mean?"

"She hasn't given me one straight answer about anything, really. About my mom, who Betelgeuse is, my involvement in any of this..... I'm just losing patience with her and her secrets."

Sofia nodded. "Yeah, I guess you have a point."

"I just want to know what my mom has to do with any of this, and what we're even doing here."

June glanced back at the fire. "Yeah..."

"What're you guys whispering about over here?"

We all four jumped when we heard a voice right behind us, and turned to find Betelgeuse standing there, watching us curiously. June and Logan laughed a little, while I sighed. 

"Just... all of this. I don't really know what I'm doing here," I admitted, looking down at my hands. "I don't know what's happening to me. I'm not sure about these powers, and I have no idea how to even use them."

"Woah there, kid. That's a lot to unpack," he replied, chuckling a bit as he laid a hand on my shoulder. 

I looked up at him. 

"Listen, I might not know much about you or your background, but I do know a thing or two about the stuff happening to you. I could show you the ropes."

I blinked at him. "You could?"

He nodded. "Yeah! I mean, who do you think is the best when it comes to this sorta thing?" he replied, grinning smugly and straightening his tie. 

June snorted, and I glanced over at her. She met my gaze. "What?"

I shook my head, turning my attention back on the man in the striped suit in front of me.