Chapter 1

You know, after being alive for nearly eighteen years, you would think you'd learn a thing or two about dumb decisions, stupid mistakes, and being an idiot in general.

But nope. Not when you're me.

As I hid up in a tree with my best friend, I was definitely evaluating my life choices. The cops' flashlights were whipping back and forth below, searching for two teenaged delinquents who had trespassed on private property.

Oh yeah. We were those delinquents.

"Hey, over here! I think I got something!" one of the policemen on the far side of the lot shouted to the others.

The pack of five security officers flocked toward the voice of the first, giving Logan and I just enough time shimmy down from the tree and book it through the parking lot, over the gate, and around the corner of the first building we came to.

"Dude, Meghan's dad's gonna kill us all if he finds out she's throwing a party here," my companion told me, gasping for breath.

"This coming from the one who had the brilliant idea to come in the first place," I sarcastically whispered back, peering warily around the corner.

"Yeah, well, frick you too, man."

"Shut up! I think I hear 'em coming back. We gotta get to the club's main building."

I grabbed his arm and pulled him along until we were finally at our destination: the main building. We could hear the faint thumping of the bass coming from inside the country club's top floor.

Glancing left and right cautiously, we slipped into the building quickly and quietly. We took the elevator up to the top floor and stepped out of the metal doors into utter chaos.

"Woah, this is a theater kid after-party?" Logan asked me in awe, watching kids grinding on each other and sipping cheap booze.

I shoved my hands deeper into the pockets of my bomber jacket. "We usually go to Denny's."

We stood against the wall, staring at the horde of teenagers. There were so many flashing lights and so much glitter that I thought I was about to have a seizure. I blinked a couple of times and shook my head.

"Why go to Denny's when you could come here?"

"Because ever since Meghan's dad bribed the director to put her in as Zoe Murphy, she thinks she can win everyone over by flaunting her wealth and using her dad's country club for after-parties."

We had closed our production of Dear Evan Hansen that night, and I had been lucky enough to be cast as Evan himself, but unfortunately also meant that I had to work closely with Meghan, since she was playing Zoe. It was a trying few months.

"So, before tonight, Denny's was our home."

"Frankly," Logan said, munching on some complimentary nachos, "I see this as an upgrade."

"I don't," I mumbled, looking around uncomfortably. "Look, maybe we should just go-"

"Ean! You made it!" I heard a high-pitched, annoying voice shout shrilly over the din of the music and other voices.

I plastered a fake smile on my face and turned around, mentally bracing myself.

"Meghan!" I said, wanting with every fiber in my body to leave this train wreck.

Meghan South, the pretty, rich brunette who was throwing this party, threw herself into my arms, giggling obnoxiously.

"I'm so glad you came!" she cooed, running a fake-nailed hand through my hair. I felt a chill run down my spine, but not in a good way. That just felt all sorts of wrong.