19. Love is a Sacrifice

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Tamara Mashalah.

The name was familiar. Of course, I heard about it. Not just somewhere but my father. Tamara Mashalah was my great, great grandmother, just like Phoenix. Doon ko nakilala ang lalaki. That's why I agreed to have a dinner with him, making my relationship with Zak in jeopardy.

Tamara Mashalah was a great beauty, my father always told me. Everyone admired her and even the most notorious guy in town — Calum Salvatore, the last alpha and the twenty-first supposedly — can't help himself but fall for the woman.

Love is an alpha's weakness. It was the forbidden fruit they must not have taken. Alpha Sigma Omicron was very strict when it came to the rules. The fraternity was founded of elites of the elitist with royal bloods and wealthy merchants and they passed on the privilege to the eldest son.

Calum Salvatore gave up the title to be with the woman he loved. The thought of happy-ever-after was just around the corner. Naging masaya ang pagsasama ng dalawa, and they even had a son named Rafael.

Clearly the new found peace of Calum didn't sit well with the other alphas. Love was against the rules. That was when they took action and kidnapped Tamara. She was tortured and beaten to death.

In other version, she was even molested. And we vowed to this very day to avenge her death. Unable to accept her death, Calum killed himself to be with her, even in the afterlife, they were together. Hindi lang ang pagkamatay niya ang kailangan kong ipaghiganti, the same fate happened to my parents.

And every Alpha must suffer in the fate of love, the one they hated the most. Zak and I are ill-fated. Wrath runs deep in my blood, I am supposed to hate him.

They were bad people and deserve nothing but pain in this world.

"Ate, k-kumain ka na?" tanong ko kay Reign pagdating na pagdating ko ng hospital. Medyo masama ang pakiramdam ko gawa ng ulan.

"Yes, Manang made me my favorite pasta," she answered. I can't believe we were talking like normal siblings. "You can eat the rest on the tupperware she brought. Is everything okay?" Reign looked at me from head to toe and shook her head.

"Y-yeah,"

"Good," umirap ito. "Comforting someone isn't built in with my personality."

I just smiled and went to the couch to sit. Tulala lang ako ng ilang minuto. One image was haunting my mind. The emotion of betrayal in his green eyes. The blood dripping down his shoulders.

"Rainbow!" Something hit my head. It was an empty bottle of water. I looked at Reign. Her face was confused. "Why are you crying?"

Kinapa ko ang aking pisngi. It was wet. Mabilis ko itong pinahid. There was no absolute reason to cry. Imbes na mawala ang pagluha, nagpatuloy ito sa pagtulo.

"What the hell?!"

Ang bigat ng pakiramdam ko. Hindi ko namalayang bumaba na si Reign sa hospital bed para daluhan ako. She tried to wipe my tears.

"Did he hurt you?" may inis sa tono ng boses nito.

Umiling ako. "I... I h-hurt him,"

Natahimik si Reign. "Why?"

"Because he was the r-reason my f-family was d-dead. He w-wronged us, their o-organization... were an a-archenemy." My tears fell once again. "I p-promised my f-father..."

"Is that what you want?" Reign asked. Inayos niya ang nakalugay na buhok sa aking mukha.

"It's what I... I'm s-supposed to do."