Chapter 2

Her mouth dropped, seeing her older brother. Victoria was in complete shock but Olena was just in pure thankfulness, the rest of the family was in a state of confusion. Olena told them that the reasons behind him being back together don't matter, that they should just be thankful to have him back. This was all true, not to mention I really didn't want to explain what Lissa and I had done to save him.

We were sitting down at the dinner table, it being almost eight o'clock now. The black bread sat just in front of me, taunting me. I took yet another slice and set it on the corner of my plate. I hadn't eaten anything else but that bread all day.

"So, Rose. It's very nice to see you again. What have you been doing with your life since you left us?" Olena tried to make conversation.

"Um, well. I became Lissa's guardian and well you can figure out the rest." I gave her a crooked smile.

I felt Dimitri's hand move up my leg then down in a circle motion, this continued. I ate the rest of my bread then got up and went downstairs to use the bathroom, not expecting to feel the warning ache in my stomach. The ache that told me when they were near.

"Dimitri" I screamed very loud, loud then I've ever done before.

I wasn't prepared but that was always one of his rules, be prepared. It was too late, they had heard me scream and came straight up the stairs for me. A stake not in hand, I fought with my fists. Throwing punches, and kicking harder than I ever had before. It wasn't enough. I was dead.

[In the Hospital] Dimitiri's POV

I sat in one of those dreary hospital chairs, just waiting. Waiting until the doctor said she could leave, waiting until she would even wake up, waiting to hear good news. The doctor walked casually into the room, I stood up.

"So we found something different in her tests. Congratulations, you're going to be a father."  He said almost at though this was nothing in the world that he lived in. We couldn't have a baby together, nor will we ever be able to.