Chapter 3

Not knowing if she was really dead taunted her, it showed just how weak her inner-self really was. She sat in a realm of darkness, a cloud hanging over top of her head. Something lingered inside of her, she felt the sense that was the distinct tingle inside her stomach. Then she saw them, off in the distance. The oddly pale, creatures of the dark who seemed to radiate in the darkness. The real creatures behind the stories of Anne Rice and many other knowledgeable writers.

They walked toward her, a pair of two. Strigoi. As they neared, she saw the distinct features of the man and woman. The man had a shaggy haircut, his dark brown features hiding in the darkness. The woman had an almond complexion, dark hair almost down her entire back. Her red eyes were at ease, though deep with question. Her face wore a smile, a loving smile.

Rose was looking at a mirrored image of herself. Herself, hand-in-hand with the love of her life; Dimitri Belikov. Only this image of her looked different, other than the deep-set red eyes. Her body was shaped different, her stomach to be more exact. It bulged out, as if she had a basketball shoved up under her very tight little shirt.

She was pregnant. Something that Rose would never be allowed to be with Dimitri, something that she had deprived him of. This was something she would never be allowed to give him, a family. Should she had taken him up on his offer while it was still being offered to her? Should she have become a Strigoi when she had the chance? She she have given up everything for the pure fact of giving him the family that his secretly wanted?

Then she realized what she was doing. Where she was. She tried to open her eyes and come to grips with reality. Her first try was useless, she was still unable to break through the wall to the outside world. This time she used every bit of energy she possibly could gather, breaking down the wall. She broke free to the outside world, her vision bleary.

As her vision became more defined, she made out the lines of the hospital ceiling above her head. She looked over to she the love of her life sitting in a dreary, gray hospital chair. He jumped up, to see her awaken.

"Rose, how long have you known?" he asked her, begging the question.