Chapter 18 : Insignia

"Urgh, it's too hot."

Xuě Lian grumbling about the weather after taking a nap. Yes, a nap with more than 6 hours long. But, that's fine, who told her to be a Duchess! Just as she turned to another side, she bummed into a small little dumpling whose eyes closed.

"......Ming er, we need a talk about life!"

"....", Li Ming opened his eyes. He didn't talk, but his face showed oh-you-really-think-so?

Xuě Lian: "...."

"Ehem, Master? Your orders for Young Masters already done.". Head Steward Cheng, Su Cheng; attract their attention with a cough.

"Oh, it's Ah Cheng! How come you finished it so fast? You don't have to overwork yourself...."

This time, Su Cheng also didn't reply. His face already said it all; for-whom-I've-overwork-for?

Xuě Lian: "...." I should've wake on another side! (ノ`Д')ノ彡┻━┻

" Ehem, I want to wash my face and get changed. While that, you take both brothers to my office"

These few days, Li Hong undergoing treatment from the physicians Liu and Su Qiu for his legs. So, Su Cheng went to the herbal room to get him.

"Old Cheng? Did the Duchess need anything?", Physician Liu said as soon he saw the Head Steward.

"Her Grace wants to give it to them, so I want to take Young Master after the treatment", act as his home; Su Cheng took a sit before Physician Liu, Liu Wenyan, and poured himself a cup of tea.

"It's that time already, I see. Young Master Hong's treatment is almost done for today, please wait for a while."

"Of course. This old body will rest here for a while waiting for Young Master."

"Old Cheng, although we called you Old Cheng; your age just around 50s. So, stop act like you're an elderly person" Liu Wenyan heard that the elders aged around 80s.

"Hahaha, it's just my habits since I was young. It's been a long time since I've worked with Her Grace."

"I heard you were the youngest steward under Her Grace?"

"Oh ho ho, it's not worth it to mention it!" ୧(^ 〰 ^)୨

"You're too humble, Old Cheng", Liu Wenyan just said it. But he saw how big the Head Steward's smirks are.

Graaack, the door opened. Li Hong pushed himself out. "Grandpa Cheng?"

"How was the treatment, Young Master? I'm here to take you to see Her Grace"

"Oh, okay. Please show the way, Grandpa"

𖥸

When they arrived at the office, they saw Li Ming already sat there. He was flapping a picture book. While Xuě Lian absentmindedly stares at the snowy mountains outside, while standing behind her desk.

"Master, Young Master has arrived." Old Steward Cheng wakes Xuě Lian from her daze.

".... oh, you've arrived Hong er." Xuě Lian walked to her desk, and take out a wooden box from her drawer.

With a smile, she sat on the couch near the tea table and showed the box, "Come here, both of you."

After they sat nearer, she opened the box. They say, two pieces of fine onyx gemstones. In the middle of it, there was a silver plate with a lotus insignia.

" This is yours now. I'll teach you both how to mark them." Then, Xuě Lian took the onyx, gave it to each of them.

When both brothers hold it, they felt a warmth flowed into their bodies. "Did you feel the warmth?"

After received a nod, she continued, "Now, close your eyes. Just allow the warmth to flow in your body freely. When you can feel them near your heart, try to focus all your attention there. After you feel all the warmth stays there, you can open your eyes."

The warmth was very gentle, flowed into their body. Makes them felt so calm, like in a hug; full of love. When the warmth near the heart, it tickled their hearts.

Tik Tok, tik tok, the sound of Head Steward Cheng's stopwatch can be heard. The room was very quiet. Time flies by the time they opened their eyes.

The gemstones glow faintly with their palm, "It's beautiful!". Li Hong praised it wholeheartedly.

"Is it?". When they raised their gaze, they saw Her Grace's hair and eyes already changed colours.

" Your...... Aunt! What happened to your hair and eyes?" This is the first time Li Hong saw it, that he was shocked.

Xuě Lian's long and untied raven hair turned into silver platinum, shined brightly under the glows of sunset. While her eyes turned into dark violet. When her eyes were in black, they saw darkness like in an abyss. But there was a twinkle of light in her dark violet eyes, like stars.

"Hehehe, you will see it more frequently later! Their colours changed whenever I used more than a quarter of my manas. Which of my appearance that you more prefer?"

Li Hong really can't take the drastic changes, that he becomes speechless. While Li Ming just stared Xuě Lian.

"Hahaha. When I was young, I was also found it was shocking. Now Young Master, the black gemstone in your arm are the insignia of Lian County. You must take good care of it, only when you wear it then you can pass the Great Gate." The Head Steward Cheng told them briefly.

The Great Gate is the biggest gate that is situated the most outer and southern of the Lian County. Heavily guarded by the county's defence. Only after a deep inspection or authorized person can be passed.

"It's ours now?! What will happen if I lost the emblem?" Such a precious thing. Li Hong was afraid if he lost it.

"Hahahahaha!!! First of all, yes it's yours. Whatever you called it emblem or badge, it's yours now that you already marked it with your manas. If you lost it, it will return to you. Ah Cheng, show them!"

Su Cheng then throws for his stopwatch. But, like a boomerang; it returned in his arm! "As you marked it, you can just call it, Young Master."

"Besides that, that insignia also shield you from my magic cover. Do you remember what I look like before came here? You can't right? It's because I've cast magic so that you can't remember my appearance or my voice. Unless I've recognized you as my people"

"It's that's why?! So, what do I have to call you then? I've heard some of them called you 'Master'." Li Hong asked.

"Just called me whatever you want to; except for 'Grandmother', please. Oh, you can place them on an object that you always put on you. Like Ah Cheng's stopwatch, or as jewellery or weapons."

Li Hong was excited as he rubs here and there! o((*^▽^*))o