Part 22

Before the battle had even begun Jake knew that he was not acting like himself. He threw his head and glowered down at Blackfoot. "I told you to get out there and draw Jacob out!"

The little buckskin immediately rushed off, but Jake could tell that he was startled by his rough demeanour. Jake hung his head low. He closed his eyes and then looked back up at his father. Midnight and Sunflower were side by side, whispering and then nodding to one another. Jake could only assume that they were conversing about him, and it nearly drove him to insanity.

Everything was riding on this upcoming battle. He finally had a chance to become the revered leader he had always wanted. His heart leapt with delight even if his soul protested. Being a heartless leader had never been him. He had vowed long ago to never let past experiences and present pressures get to him, but he was already starting to believe that the darkness had a hold on his heart.

"Jacob has started forward," Maces announced. He slammed a hoof down, shaking the white feathers. His eyes were wide, and there was nearly a smile hidden within.

Jake raised his head and flattened his ears. He stalked forward. As he did, Raven caught his eye near the mouth of the sleeping cave. Her head was hung low and her ears were parted and pleading. Jake shook her from his mind as he stomped forward. There could be no distractions. Nothing could cloud his judgement. He had to come out victorious at any cost. His future was at stake. Perhaps if he won, he could have the respect from the leaders, and Night Singer, that he had always wanted.

The Blacks rallied behind him. They had enough training under their belt to complete this battle. Jake led them through the speed gates until they were at a full gallop. The wind lashed at Jake, foaming through his ears and screaming a warning. What was he going to have to do to get his victory?

The horses collided, the same as hundreds of times before. Jake slashed at his White enemy and took a moment to search the battle field. Nibbles was not present. She was not going to get in the way, and it delighted him. He began to lose himself in the deep grunts of the horses around him. His eyes narrowed as he spun from position to position. His hooves became as light as feathers as he glided through the battlefield.

There was a Brownie who had taken down Grullo. Jake snorted loudly as anger swelled within him like a rolling wave that could not be controlled. The Whites were working together better than usual, and it was getting under his skin. He slammed Jacob to the ground and turned to Allyoop. He was Nibbles' brother. Although Jake knew in the recesses of his mind that he should stay away from the brown horse, he went forward nonetheless. He stalked towards Allyoop, finally losing sight of his heart completely.

The brown stallion avoided several of his attacks with expert skill. He had improved much since Jake had fought him last, but Jake was determined to get him out of the way and punish him for taking down one of his own. Jake slipped to the side of Allyoop and shoved him onto the ground. His adversary's eyes were wide with the whites showing. Jake rose into the air in a daring rear. His sharp hooves hovered above Allyoop's head.

"No!"

Jake was snapped out of his battle daze. He parted his hooves so that they went on either side of Allyoop's head. Jacob and Sham attacked together as they realized that their fellow stallion was in danger. Jake kicked them away and drew his own herd together. Maces and Buckskin shot him flattened ears to show their disapproval.

"Get him out of here before I kill him," Jake ordered.

Rage lit Jacob's eyes as he crashed forward, but Sham stepped in front of him. They whispered with one another for a moment before they both scowled heavily at him. They were taking too long to make a decision.