Part 13

Nibbles and Allyoop had meandered back to the caves and ate breakfast peacefully. She was hardly paying attention when the other horses were conversing, but she did notice two large brown eyes that were trained directly on her. It had taken a couple of days, but Nibbles finally figured out who was watching her, and the results were somewhat unnerving. Sparkle was observing her carefully.

Nibbles acted as if she was not aware, but she could not figure out why the leader had a careful eye on her.

Although Nibbles was tempted to, she could not confront Sparkle. Nibbles could not afford to be asked questions. She did not have the right answers if the leader made further inquiries into her past.

The white mare had asked Alyoop about it as well, but he had no explanations. She hoped that she could hint to it with Jacob when he took her to practice.

Everything was complicated and Nibbles did not know why. She had observed other herds, and they got along fine. Blaze had given her confidence, but in the end, Nibbles wondered if she was really cut out for a life of secrets in a herd.

As Nibbles ate, she had her eyes on the many horses around her. She wondered if any of them were hiding anything.

"We're still on for practice, right?" Jacob asked as he neared.

Nibbles raised her head with a determined smile. "I'll meet you on the field as we agreed!"

Jacob's smile was radiating through the air as he walked away. Nibbles could hardly conceal her own excitement. It gave her great pleasure to know that they were going to fight.

If Jacob taught her the basics, it would be easier to train Allyoop and give answers when someone discovered her fighting abilities.

There was nothing for Nibbles to fear. Sham approved of her even though he knew she was not pure white. She could also protect Allyoop if someone decided to go against him.

Nibbles perked her ears forward and headed out to the field. Before she got too far away, Flower stopped her with a smile.

"When you come back, Sparkle wants a meeting with you!"

Nibbles' heart began to pound. She was unsure of how to react. Flower, of course, flashed a reassuring smile.

"She only wants to talk to you," Flower explained. "You shouldn't be nervous."

Nodding slowly, Nibbles smiled. "I really did not want to get in trouble!"

Flower grinned. "I know."

The two parted ways and Nibbles made her way towards the field. Now was the time for excellent acting. Jacob could not discover that she may be stronger than even him.

The field was beautiful in the summer light. Nibbles was refreshed and energized just by being out and about.

Nibbles' eyes were wide and her nostrils were flared, drinking in the sweet summer scents. She relished the moment until she picked up on Jacob's presence. The stallion was standing directly behind her.

"Hey," he greeted.

The white mare gasped and spun around. "Jacob, you scared me!" She lied. She played her roll as an innocent mare to protect those she loved and to help others be comfortable around her.

"I was sure your tail swished in acknowledgement as I came up," he laughed.

Nibbles closed her eyes and drew in a deep breath. She could see the concern in his eyes. He was still thinking about the battle.

"First of all, I would like to confess something to you," Jacob insisted.

The mare waited patiently. She stood squarely and gave him her full attention.