Chapter 14

Prodigy jumped away from the door as he heard the knob click. He shrank backwards until he found a turn in the hallway, and hid.

You don't normally eavesdrop, Prodigy.

Prodigy smothered a gasp, biting down on his tongue. You don't normally talk! He shook slightly as he peeked around the corner.

I know, Damion agreed, his voice sounding mocking. But honestly, I really am enjoying this. Now you get to hear my wonderful commentary, on everything.

Prodigy tried to ignore him as he watched the passage. Noble had just walked out of lab one, and was heading in the opposite direction of Prodigy.

Oh, that man is terrible. Not good for either of us if what he said was true. Who do you think made the complaint? Med? Would you let me finish what I started if it was her?

No! Prodigy squeezed his eyes shut, then gritted his teeth. Despite Damion's chatter, Prodigy knew that it couldn't have been Med. Someone else had reported him, which meant someone else had it in for him as well. Do you think it was someone who was mad at you? He asked Damion.

Possibly. Many people are mad at me. But everything I do, is so that we can survive.

Prodigy raised an eyebrow, Everything?

Mostly everything.

Fine, can you please be quiet so I can make a plan? His head was beginning to hurt from the constant voice of someone else in his brain.

Fine. But don't do anything stupid, cause then I'll have to clean up your mess.

You are the only person who calls me stupid. He thought, as the beginnings of aggravation entered his mind.

No, that's not true. I'm pretty sure I've heard subject one call you stupid. And if not, I'm sure she will eventually. Prodigy flinched, then tuned out Damion's voice, no easy feat.

Someone wanted him gone, that much he knew. If he had been reported, then there would be an inquiry and he would, inevitably, be put on the loose ends list.

There has to be a way to remove myself, without getting me killed. He thought.

I have an idea. Prodigy jumped at the sound of Damion speaking, and he quickly ducked behind the corner again.

Don't do that again!

Sorry. He said, not sounding sorry at all.

Hmph. Alright, what did you have in mind?

Nya rolled on to her back, tilting her head up. She had bruises everywhere, that much was evident. They had taken her ninja robes when she first arrived, providing her an orange jumpsuit, which had given her exactly no protection from the torture. Besides bruises, she could feel the cracked ribs and broken bones whenever she moved. Nya was of course trained to withstand this, but that didn't make the pain any less painful.

She had been to a different cell, and was no longer able to communicate with Tempest, but her darkest fears told her she wouldn't have been able to anyway. She had heard the terrible screams the previous day, or so she thought. They were terrible, uncontrolled and pure anguish. It had sounded like she was being killed. When Nya had forced herself up to ask the guard outside her room about it, he had simply said that it was classified. Nya took a breath and pulled herself up to a sitting position. Pain erupted around her waist, and dark spots appeared on her jumpsuit. Nya could smell the blood, and the smell mixed with the pain made her head dizzy