Chapter 16

Kai found the cave quickly, surprised that there weren't any guards. He darted through it as fast as he dared, thankful for the dark shadows along the sides. The coldness from outside faded away as he went farther into the mountain, then a bright light appeared fifteen feet away. He heard footsteps, then voices.

"Hey, Rogue."

"What do you want? I'm on a mission for Doc." The second voice sounded older.

"I-Behind you!" Kai waited to hear more, but instead he heard a loud smack, and a thump, as something fell to the floor. He tiptoed closer to the light, squinting from its brightness. A man was slumped against the ground, his head lolled to the side. Kai looked left and right, but didn't see anyone. Pressing his lips together, he stepped over the man and continued down the hallway. It veered right about thirty feet down, and two more guards were lying unconscious when he got there. Anxiety hit the pit of his stomach, but Kai kept going, faster. He stole through the hallways, following each passage that had unconscious guards. He knew it could be a trap, but as soon as he had entered the mountain, it had been apparent that Kai had no idea where to go. As long as he could avoid unnecessary fighting, he would.

He slunk toward another corner, and a loud thump snapped Kai into a defensive stance, his muscles pulled taut. A man crashed to the ground in front of him, his like sprawled. A boy appeared in front of him as well, grabbing the guards arms before stopping to stare at Kai. The boy looked about Kai's age, black hair pulled into a high ponytail. He looked up at Kai with surprised yellow eyes, then gave him an untrustworthy grin.

"About time. I thought ninja were supposed to be fast."

Kai blinked. "Excuse me?"

The guy rolled his eyes, "Follow me if you want to save subj- Tempest."

"Who are you?!" Kai asked before the guy could turn away.

"My name is Prodigy, I don't care if you trust me, now follow." The boy ran down the hallway, and Kai had no choice but to follow him.

They made their way along several passages, turning left and right so many times that Kai knew he was lost. Eventually, they came to yet another hallway, but this time it had a plaque above the entrance.

Cell block 3

There was another guard about half way in, standing like a statue. Kai was about to ask what they should do, when Prodigy made a, wait here, motion with his hand. Kai glared at the guy as he strolled in, his cocky attitude coming off him in waves.

"Bristol." Kai hid behind the wall, peeking his head out just a bit. Prodigy reached the guard in three strides, and stood with his arms crossed.

If this guy sells me out, I'm so going to punch him in the nose. Kai thought, gritting his teeth.

"Prodigy." There was clear dislike in the guards voice.

"I need to see subject one." Prodigy stated.

"I thought as much. She's either been hallucinating, or is faking it." The guard explained. Kai clenched his fist, they made it sound like she wasn't a person, just an object.

"Hallucinating?" The annoying guy actually sounded concerned. "How is she now?"

"Asleep," Bristol replied, unemotionally. "But her mumbling is so consistent that it sounds like a real conversation. It's also really annoying."

Prodigy nodded. "Let me in, and make sure nobody is here."

Bristol snorted. "No one is going to be in the mountain, Prodigy."