chapter five

-Blair pov-

"Fucking Jace, and Bryce, and Ethan!" I pulled the brush through the last knot in my hair.

I stopped, maybe not Ethan, he strangely makes me feel safe, even though he definitely shouldn't.

I examined myself in the mirror that sat above the sink in the small bathroom. The first thing I did when Ethan left was eat the sandwich he gave me, then I took a shower, and looked through the clothes in the dresser. Mostly jeans and t-shirts. I settled on a pair of black ripped jeans with a loose dark green t-shirt. I went back to the bathroom and brushed through my knotted hair.

The whole time I couldn't get the way Jace looked at me out of my head. I kept glancing at the door, hoping he wouldn't come in as I quickly got dressed; eventually layering my clothes with a long sleeved shirt and hoodie since the room was freezing.

I leaned closer to the mirror, I had dark circles under my eyes, and a few new pimples. I yawned, it has been probably over two days since I have slept in a real bed.

I wanted to go lay down and take a nap, but first I needed to see if there was anything in my room I could use to pick the lock or at least defend myself with.

I walked over to the small desk and opened the middle drawer. I pulled out each item one by one: a pad of paper, a pack of colored pencils, regular pencils, and a wrist watch.

And a pencil sharpener. I grinned, opening the small green object open, and fiddling with it to pull out the small sharpening knife.

The other two drawers were empty. I then searched through the dresser; just clothes, but I did find a pair of black tennis shoes in the bottom drawer. I looked under the bed, nothing.

I sat down on the bed, the sheets and blankets were scratchy, and the pillow had a weird stain on it, but it was a bed.

I clutched the small sharpened metal piece in my hand, staring at the door.

My eyelids slowly grew heavy, exhaustion overtaking my adrenaline.

-Ethan pov-

Grayson staggered into our room. He was covered in dust and his hair fell limp, covering his eyes.

I raised my eyebrow. "What happened to you?"

He plopped down in the chair next to me. "Boss wanted a bunch of concrete bags moved from Krypton to here."

"What are they going to do with concrete?"

He scowled. "Who knows, but you got off lucky, each bag weighted 100 pounds and had a bunch of rips in them, so the dust kept pouring all over us."

I chuckled. "Yeah, I can see that, you look disgusting."

He rolled his eyes. "So what have you been doing all afternoon?"

I held up my small journal. "Writing."

Grayson smirked. "Aww little Ethan, writing poetry again?"

Now I rolled my eyes. "It's not poetry, Gray. Now go take a shower before dinner. I have to go bring that girl dinner."

He gave me a serious look. "Hey, make sure she feels somewhat safe..." He looked down at his hands, he didn't have to say anything for me to know what he was referring to.

I stood up. "Yeah I know, she shouldn't be punished for her douchebag brother."

"Yeah, she really shouldn't." He whispered.

He got up and went into our bathroom, pulling the door closed behind him.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath as I stood and walked out of our room, toward Blair's.

To make her feel somewhat safe.