Beach Stars

Sebastian felt numb, a feeling which was really not anything new.

At that moment, sitting there waiting for Demetrius to show up, Sebastian found himself wanting to feel anything rather than have his mind stuck on repeating what happened in the interrogation room over and over in his head. His fingers tightened around the knees of his pants, one of his fingers picking at the fraying at one of the knees while he looked ahead.

The police station was a cacophony of noise as they waited out in the lobby, but every so often a noise would occur that made Sebastian's head turn and Demetrius relative to speak in a soft manner, telling him not to worry about such things, yet Sebastian couldn't help but worry about such things when he almost ended up in a jail cell. Somehow, he knew that was the end goal rather than finding the person who took Maru away.

"You should say something to him. He might be a stranger, but Demetrius sent him and he's related to Demetrius and thus also related to Maru." That particular thought made Sebastian open his mouth a few times, trying to think of something to say to the man, but he couldn't think of anything.

"Ambrose by the way."

"Uh..." Sebastian's eyes blinked, looking at the man carefully.

"I'm your uncle, but also named after an uncle," the man said, but watching Ambrose Sebastian thought he was watching him carefully.

"Demetrius isn't..." Sebastian stopped. "Don't you have a problem with that?"

"With what?"

Sebastian's mouth shut and he looked at his hands, one of which yet again picked at the frayed jeans right at the knee.

"Family is family," the man finally said.

"I've not met you, any of you."

The man frowned. "To be honest, I really didn't know why that was."

"You still don't."

"When Demetrius called telling me about your situation, he was upfront about the fact you're autistic, but watching you here in the station as we wait, it doesn't seem like you're fond of loud noises."

"Not really."

"We're a really loud family, Sebastian, but that doesn't mean we aren't there for you. Mind you, there are some who will consider you a stranger until you get to know them, but you are Demetrius kid."

"I have a dad."

"Who says you're not allowed to have more than one? As one of Demetrius' family members who has met your dad, he wouldn't care about that, but I think you know that as well. This is your family, but you're allowed to call Demetrius your dad. That's your choice and not the choice of anybody else. Not even Demetrius can make you."

"Does he want me to?" Sebastian swallowed. "Or is it only because..."

"Ask him," Ambrose nodded his head. "He's here by the way."

Sebastian looked up, then stood up, his mouth opening to say something, possibly aiming at asking the question. The words didn't come out before Demetrius pulled him into a hug, whispering into his ear. "We're going home."

"Call me if the police decide to bother him again. Actually, don't hesitate to call even if they don't, but pay us a visit. All of you would be welcome with open arms."

"I guess," Sebastian muttered, feeling Demetrius' hand on the middle of his back before they stepped out, the hot heat beating down on him, making his eyes squint shut. His mind kept playing the events over and over in his head until they arrived home and he was able to retreat into his basement bedroom. He let out a sigh, burying his head and letting the bedding cool his overly warm skin.