Her Vow

Scotland- 804 AD

Flaming arrows rained down on them as if all the stars were falling from the sky. The thatched roofs ignited the moment they struck. With each passing second, the screaming grew louder as panic took hold. People fled in every direction, calling out to their loved ones.

Amidst the chaos, Tualla and Aedan locked eyes briefly, expressing everything left unsaid. “Hurry,” Tualla screamed and he wasted no time in pushing his way through the masses. 

When Tualla turned back to the fire, the children were gone. Cold worked its way through her veins, chilling her to the core. They couldn’t have gone far.

She called out their names, choking on the air, thick with smoke and ash. 

She saw them, huddled together behind a cart and rushed over. “Are you alright?”

They clung to her as she checked them over, their bodies shaking with fear.

“Tualla,” Elspeth said, her bottom lip quivering. “I’m scared.”

“I know.” Tualla brushed her cheek and looked her straight in the eye with all the determination she could muster. “I’m going to take you somewhere safe. Right now, I need you to be brave for me, okay?”

She took hold of both their hands, but a loud crash behind her caused Beathan to retreat back to the safety of the cart. 

“Come on, Beathan,” Tualla urged, but the little boy wouldn’t budge.

His bottom lip began to tremble and he broke down in tears. “I want Mumma.”

“Mumma’s waiting for us,” she told him in her softest voice. “But we need to move, it’s not safe here.”

Beathan’s sobs turned to wails and Tualla didn’t know how to console him. With the sound of clashing metal growing nearer, they didn’t have much time, so Tualla scooped him into her arms.    

Holding onto Elspeth, they made a move as Tualla did her best to shield them from the injured people writhing in agony and the many lifeless bodies littering the ground. 

Away from the carnage, Tualla tried to devise an escape plan. Judging from the direction of the initial attack, the main gates weren’t an option. They would have to climb over the palisade.

Their home wasn't too much further and although it wouldn't be safe for long, she could at least gather some weapons and have a better shot at protecting them.

Under Beathan's weight, her arms soon grew heavy and when he’d settled, she placed him down to walk the rest of the way. 

She heard men’s voices nearby. 

Pulling the children behind a building and making a shushing motion, she listened out, hoping she could figure out whether they were friend or foe. They were moving closer, their laughter and casual pace indicated the latter. 

“Hey, let’s play a game,” Tualla said, kneeling in front of her cousins, keeping her voice light and exciting. “I want to see who can race home first and when you get there, I want you to find my weapons. Can you do that for me?”

Although nervous, both children nodded.

“Whatever you see or hear, just keep running. I’ll be right behind you, okay? But stay there until I come get you.”

When they nodded again, Tualla told them to run, watching their little legs carry them away. Double checking she had her scian with her, she searched outside the hut for anything she could use as a weapon. Most of the tools were too small to inflict any real damage, but the spade or rake could be useful. She settled for the rake and hid behind the hut, gripping onto the tool with both hands.