Chapter 17

We both stood up and walked back inside. Steve and Soda had left, and Two-Bit and Johnny were talking about something. Mrs. Curtis looked up from her book at us.

"What were you two doing?"

"Just talking Mom," said Pony.

"Alright."

She motioned to the seats next to her and me and Pony sat down.

"Thank you Mrs. Curtis but I have a place to stay."

"May I ask where?"

"It's a bar, a bit down the road don't know if you know it," I said mumbling.

"Oh, I've seen that place. Are you sure you're okay there?"

"Oh yes, the owner is really nice and he helps me out."

"The door is always open here Dallas if you need a place to stay."

"No, I wouldn't want to bother you."

"Nonsense! Besides, these boys get into more trouble."

"Hey that's unfair," said Two-Bit with an unamused expression.

"I'm just messing with ya. I've dealt with these boys for years."

I don't think any of them are wanted for murder though. I looked around at everyone. They all looked so happy, carefree. I wish I had a home like this, a family like this. Mrs. Curtis seems different then all the other mothers I've seen. Well, I guess the only I've seen are the ones looking at me judging me at gas stations or whatnot. There was my mother, but I guess her face has slipped my mind recently. I used to think about her a lot, every day, but now I want to forget. Forget how disappointed she'd be in me and my choices.

I started going over to the Curtis house every day. Even if it was only for an hour, it was nice to feel included. Buck would always ask where I went, I always just said somewhere. I liked to annoy him sometimes, it was fun. I got closer to Pony, and I really liked the kid. I still hadn't met his older brother officially since I'd always come during the day when he was gone. I came over one day and everyone was gone except Mrs. Curtis. She looked at me surprised when I entered the house.

"Dallas? Shouldn't you be at school?"

That's another thing, school. I hadn't been to school since I was living with my father. I only went then to get out of the house. I actually was okay in school, sure I had trouble reading and with math, but doesn't everyone? I never want to go back to school, what's the point now? I'm not going to do anything extraordinary with my life anyways. I honestly forgot school was a thing, I guess everyone was on break or something.

Mrs. Curtis looked at me worryingly.

"Are you alright?"

"Oh yeah, I'm fine."

"I don't want to be one of those people but why aren't you in school."

"Oh I'm actually homescho-"

I stopped talking and looked at her. How easy it would be to lie, to just say I'm homeschooled, or the bar I live at that's my cousin and I'm here on vacation. Anything. But when I looked at her, all I saw was my mother. I went over and sat next to her, now not being able to look at her. The house was silent.

"I... I don't know why I said that."

All of a sudden I turned towards her and hugged her. She was taken by surprise at first, but then she understood I needed it. I felt tears burn my eyes, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop them.