Chapter 8

I jolted awake, breathing hard. I looked around my room. At first, I thought everything that happened was a dream, but the cuts all over me proved otherwise. I got up and took off the clothes that I was wearing yesterday. I went and took a shower, washing the dirt and blood off me. When I got out of the shower I changed. I went downstairs and grabbed a beer. There was no way I was going to the Curtis house. Not for awhile. I drank my beer in the silence of the bar. Buck I think mentioned he had to go pick up a beer delivery a couple hours away today. So I just sat there thinking over everything yet again.

Until a knock at the door interrupted my thoughts. I got up and went to the door. I saw through the window who it was, and I sighed opening the door. Johnny and... Pony surprisingly.

"Look Dal we just wanted to say we're sorry about the gang."

I opened the door, letting them inside.

"I know it wasn't you Johnny."

The room went silent.

"Dal, what happened in New York?" Pony blurted out.

"Nothing."

"If it was nothing, then none of this would be happening! Why can't you just tell us?"

"It's not something that I want to just spill my guts out on."

"So? You know how many things I've had to say that I haven't wanted to?"

"You don't understand Pony."

"Why are you always getting on my back? I can be friends with who I want. It's my life!"

"I can't deal with this shit right now."

"Now you're avoiding the topic entirely and running? I don't get it. All I did was be friends with one person. What the hell did I EVER do?"

"That's the problem Pony. You're not being you."

"How could YOU know who I am?"

"YOU ACT JUST LIKE ME!"

It was deadly silent after that. Johnny and Pony just stared at me confused.

"What do you mean?"

I run my hand through my hair, regretting saying it. I look down at the ground, tightening my hand into a fist.

"You think I was always this way? Pony, I was just like you. Naive, thinking the world was a good hopeful place. Nothing brought me down. That's why The Blades always called me the pet. I was one of the only people in there who acted that way."

"What do you mean 'one of'?" asked Johnny.

I looked down at the ground. I haven't said his name since that day. Not once. I've sure as hell thought it. My head was screaming not to say anything else, to just ignore it again. I knew deep down I couldn't anymore.

"What happened?" asked Pony yet again.

"Me."

——————————————————————

I opened my eyes to the sunlight on my face. The old worn-out bed creaked as I sat up. I looked out through the crack in the window at the sky. It was early, the sun had barely risen. the sky was pretty, with the colors swirling. I marveled at the sight.

"What'cha looking at D?"

I quickly turned around and smiled. He walked over and sat at the end of the bed. I scooted over so he could see. He smiled back.

"The sunrise? It's sure pretty."

"Yeah, I like it. Don't tell the others that."

"You know I wouldn't."