Chapter 14

I heard the whistle of the train, and my eyes shot open. I must have fallen asleep. I looked outside and was stunned. There wasn't a single building in sight, only wide fields. I had never seen places like this. This was going to be different than the city, it already seemed different in a good way. As hours passed, I continued to stare outside. I had nothing else to do anyway. I thought over everything too. All of a sudden the train came to a stop. I grabbed my bag and started to exit. Once I was outside, I didn't see much. Just people, some trees, and the station. I kept walking and I made it out of the station. I kept walking, not knowing where.

I was in some place called Windrixville. The area didn't look too bad. Lots of fields, and fewer people. I kind of liked that, the openness. I looked over the fields and saw an old building, knowing this would be home for awhile. The closer I walked towards it, the more clearer it got. It was an old church, it looked like it had been abandoned for a few years. The windows were boarded up, but I broke through. The inside was dirty and dusty, but it reminded me of New York. I went back outside and saw the sun was setting. I leaned against the side of the church, watching the colors fade.

I had done it. I ran, away from all of them. I'm free, from the cops, from the Savage, from the Blades, from everyone. I missed Boston, and I knew I would, but it was the right thing to do. This is my chance to start over, I could be anyone. I don't have to be the broken kid, the child, the person people think needs protection. I can move on, start new. I don't want to be that person anymore. The person who feels too much, who cries too much, who sees the good in the world too much. There's no good in this world, if there was I wouldn't be here. I would be happy, sitting next to Tommy without a care in the world.

If I'm going to be the new me, I have to leave all of the old me behind. All of New York, all of the pain, all of the suffering, all of the people, everything. Including Tommy.

So as I watched the sunset, I knew this would be the last one I would watch. Tomorrow I wanted to be new. Tomorrow I wanted to get rid of this mess that I am and be something different. Tougher. Stronger.

And ready to face this fucked up world.

——————————————

It had been a week since I had arrived in Oklahoma. It's not bad here, I've gotten used to the church. But I don't think I want to stay here forever. I'll just get bored of this place. The country is nice at first, but then there's nothing left to do. So I decided to grab my stuff and just start walking. I come back to the train station, and see one leaving. One of the cars is open, and I see no one looking, and I climb into it. The old me would have been terrified to do that, to have an unknown destination and get on a moving train. But I wasn't the old me.

Not anymore.

The train kept moving for a couple hours, and finally it started to slow. I grabbed my bag, seeing an opening, and jumped off. I stood up and saw it looked the same as Windrixville. I kept walking, following the train tracks. It led up to a small station, and I walked past that.

From what I saw so far, Tulsa looks nice. The houses are pretty big, and they look fancy. I made it into town and saw different places. Grayson said to save my money, and buying a hotel room isn't exactly needed. I've lived in old buildings and places my whole life, I can live somewhere shabby and be okay. I looked inside the different places. I saw a restaurant that looked kind of busy, and people were walking. Somewhere wearing nice clothes, while others were wearing clothes that looked more like mine. I wonder if social class is a thing here. I decided to use the pickpocketing skills I had to get some money. I got a few bucks, but not much. I saw an older boy walking, he looked about 20 or so. I "bumped" into him, and he looked at me angrily. I grabbed a few bucks off him, said sorry, and continued. Until I felt someone drag me into an alley. I looked at the person, it was the man from before.

"Give me my money back."

"I don't know what you're talking about mister."

"If you know what's best for you, you'd give it back."

"Again, I don't know what you're talking about."

"You're like fucking 10, you realize I could beat you up."

"You could, yes."

The person stared at me, and his face changed to a smile.

"What's your name kid?"

"Don't call me kid."

"Well then tell me your name and I'll stop kid."

"Dallas. Dallas Winston."

"Well Dallas, I would still like my money back. But first, follow me."

"Why should I do that?"

"You got somewhere better to be?"

He started walking, and I slowly followed. I didn't trust him, not only because he just threatened me, but also because I'm not making the mistake in trusting people as I did in the past. So I walked beside him. He said nothing, and we started walking further away from town. The houses started to get more run down, and I realized Tulsa must have a rich and poor side. We kept walking until we reached a building. He went inside, and I saw it was a bar. It was a larger building, and no one was inside. He went around the counter and grabbed a beer. He looked back at me.

"How old are you?"

"11."

"So an eleven-year-old just tried to pickpocket me? This is one hell of a day."

"What is this place?"

"This is my bar. Well, it's my bar now. Just got it not too long ago. Pretty good shape."

He got a glass and filled it with water. He handed it to me. I had a beer before, my Dad made me drink it once. I also drank it to ease the pain from when I hurt my ankle. But that was it. Never for fun.

"Where you from? Obviously not here."

"New York."

"Damn that's a long way. How'd you end up here of all places?"

"I don't think this is "guess the past".

"And I don't think I have to let you stay here."

"But you are. You brought me here for a reason, you didn't beat me up for a reason."

"Cause I see potential in you kid. You did a pretty good job pickpocketing, can't imagine your other skills."

"Again, why does this matter? I think I've done enough talking about me. I don't even know your name."

"Buck. Buck Merrill."

"How old are you?"

"19."

"Why'd you bring me here for real."

"I need workers. I'd be willing to let you stay here if you work."

"Why should I stay? I can do fine on my own."

"You'll be eaten alive out there. You haven't seen the rough edges of Tulsa. You're a greaser, and greasers have it the roughest. Those rich kids are going to tackle all over you, trust me. Look I'm offering you this now, you walk and the offers gone. Have fun living on the streets."

"It wouldn't be anything new."

"It wouldn't be anything different."

That answer caught me off guard, and I tried my best to hide it. But I knew Buck could see through it. I was out of options at this point. I had left, but he's right. I want things to be different. I want to forget that hell.

"Fine."

"Welcome to Buck's."