Dolling

Emma felt like throwing up the moment she remembered Lucy was calling her older brother, but the fact Lucy received permission from Emma's mother didn't help Emma feel any better. She didn't remember until she heard Lucy saying she would answer the door, but in the back of her mind, she wondered if she would ever babysit again simply because helping Christmas Elves was not on her list of job expectations.

She hurried after the red-haired child but didn't get to the door before Lucy opened the door wide. "Hi, Charlie! Bernard is in the living room."

"Okay."

Emma's eye blinked, watching Charlie Calvin act like there was nothing out of the ordinary going on as if having Christmas Elves in your living room was an everyday thing. She swallowed, watching him head into the room where he smiled at the elves that were there as if, yet again, this were a normal occurrence to him which made her eyes go wide. "Hi! I'm Charlie."

The elf named Cam hurried over and hugged him, making Emma stare, but that was the first time she saw Charlie react since he arrived. "I'm Cam."

"Oh. Nice to meet you, Cam." He then looked right at the older of the elves. "Bernard?"

"Hi sport," Bernard muttered, staring off in space.

"So..."

"I don't know what Lucy told you about the situation," Emma swallowed, still feeling the panic come on as he adjusted his backpack over his shoulder.

"Uh. Christmas Elves in the living room. Kind of a duh situation Emma," Blake rolled his eyes at his sister.

"Yeah. But..." Emma took a deep breath. "The Christmas Elf thing..."

"Look. I'm going to call my dad," Charlie pulled out his phone.

Which, was in Emma's mind a worst-case scenario. "You can't!"

"Is that a bad thing?" Mindy asked as Charlie pulled out his phone.

"If adults find out about you guys..."

"Oh!"

The next thing any of them knew, Mindy was gone, but so was Charlie's phone. His eyes blinked. He looked around and saw her over by the window. "Hey. That's my..."

Mindy proceeded to take his phone apart, using her super speed, setting it onto the table. "There! No phone."

"Okay. That's bad," Charlie let out a sigh.

"You calling your dad is bad."

"Um. What exactly has Bernard told you?"

"What do you mean what exactly has Bernard told me? Bernard's lost his memories and we've been trying to get his memories back by figuring out what he does at the North Pole." She watched Charlie glance over at Lucy who shrugged her shoulder.

"They don't listen to me because I'm a kid."

"Hey. I listened!" Blake protested.

"But you're a kid too."

Charlie let out a sigh, stepping over to the table in front of the couch. He set down his backpack. "So, I was doing some Christmas shopping for everybody."

"I'm not sure if this is the time," Emma sighed.

"Oh, it's most certainly is the time," Charlie smirked, pulling out an object. "Bernard, who would this be for."

Emma watched Bernard look up at the chocolates. "That would be for Judy. Latest trends and such."

"And..." Charlie frowned. "Okay. So I didn't get the canned green veggies, Lucy."

"That would be for Curtis, for telling her that her ears would become pointy if she didn't eat her green vegetables." Bernard seemed to perk up slightly, but Emma looked right at Charlie, still feeling confused. Lucy disappeared into the kitchen.

"Hold on. Why does the name Curtis sound familiar?" Mindy asked.

"He's supposedly the number two elf at the North Pole," Bernard stated, his eyes narrowing. "I don't know why I'm able to remember that, but not remember anything about myself."

Emma's jaw dropped, her head turning to look at Charlie. "Wait for a second..."

"He's the one who told Mindy about the Christmas Spirit Cracker." Cam started heading over to the table where the phone parts were.

"Figures Curtis would do something like that," Charlie let out a sigh, shaking his head. "Last year it was the plastic Santa."

"Plastic..." Bernard's nose wrinkled. "Could we please not talk about the plastic Santa fiasco?"

"Yup. And who am I?"

"You're Charlie Calvin, Santa's kid."

"Santa's..." Emma looked at Bernard, then at Charlie. "You mean to tell me..."

She pointed at the phone. "You mean that the reason you wanted to call your dad is because he's Santa?"

"Yup."

A crunching sound was heard and everyone looked at Cam who for once frowned. "Oops. I dropped one of the phone parts and stepped on it by mistake."

Emma watched Bernard facepalm. "Isn't that going to—oh never mind." She turned to Charlie. "He's injured at least his head and arm, possibly his foot as well."

"Figures. He tends to overdo it."

"We still have to figure out what Bernard's job at the North Pole is?" Blake asked.

"Well..."

"We know he's not a toymaker elf," Mindy muttered.

"Hold on a second," Charlie let out a sigh.

"Are you sure?"

"He doesn't make toys. Like, at all, but it's always been a big deal that he's an Elfbright and not a toymaker elf," Mindy pouted. "So, yeah."

"But he does make toys," Lucy stated.

Emma froze, turning to look at Charlie's younger sister. "What do you mean..."

"I told you that if I whispered into my doll's ear that he can hear me and that way he can keep Charlie and me safe." Lucy leaned over to whisper into the doll's ear as Emma got a really good look at the doll, yet couldn't hear what Lucy whispered into the doll's ear.

"Um. What did she say to the doll?" Mindy asked.

"She said I made the doll," Bernard pipped up, rubbing the same ear that Lucy whispered into on the doll, but Emma finally took a good look at the doll, her mouth dropping upon realizing Lucy had told her exactly what Bernard's job at the North Pole was before he'd even shown up with his sister.

"Oh..." Emma stared at the doll.

"Now you figured it out," Blake laughed, meaning he'd already figured it out.