Past Mistake

"Did you forget? We planned to have dinner together today. I came to pick you up".

Xiao Zhan was a lot better after that panic attack and finally had time to attend to his guest. He indeed forgot about the plans they made. Afterall, those plans were made a lifetime ago.

Xiao Zhan tried to back out of dinner but his parents encouraged him to go. He had locked himself indoors for the past two days. They suspected that he had a fight with Yibo and going out would be a good way for them to sort out their issues.

They sat in their favourite restaurant and Yibo ordered for them both. Xiao Zhan had his favourite meal he usually ate but he noticed Yibo ordered something totally different, claiming it was better for the heart as they were getting older, they needed to pay more attention to their health. As they sat waiting for their meal, Xiao Zhan caught sight of Ziyi walking into the restaurant. He remembered in the past, this dinner date ended up with Ziyi being a third wheel. In fact, this was when she confirmed their relationship. This time around, Xiao Zhan knew to be wary of her.

"Hey, I never thought I'd meet you guys here. I came to have dinner. I was planning to order takeout but...", Ziyi was happily chatting with the duo. She pulled a chair to sit when Xiao Zhan heard Yibo speak.

"We're on a date, don't you think it's rude to interrupt us like that?"

Ziyi's face turned red in embarrassment. Xiao Zhan didn't mind her being there. Her embarrassed look made him feel sorry for her so he decided to give her some face.

"I don't mind Ziyi, you can join us. You both have been friends since childhood, there is no need acting like an outsider".

Though Zhan said those words, Ziyi could not bear to keep sitting. She suddenly remembered she had other things to do and decided to get takeout as she originally planned. In a few minutes, he was gone and the couple were left alone.

"You should stay away from Ziyi, she is bad news. Don't be too close to her, don't give her your phone number, don't meet up with her. If you come across her on the way, you should keep your distance".

Xiao Zhan was baffled at Yibo's attitude. Previously, he didn't mind her being around but this time was different, what could have changed to make him despise her so?

"I don't think you have the right to decide whom I hang out with and the company I keep". Xiao Zhan had no resentment in his heart towards Yibo. He was just confused. To him, the whole death incident took place a few days ago so it was fresh in his memories. The pain in his heart was still there.

"I'm sorry love. I'm not trying to take control over you. Trust me on this. Just take it that I'm jealous. Will you still get close to someone even if it makes me jealous?", Zhan raised his head to look at Yibo and caught him pouting. Zhan smiled and nodded his head.

"Okay, I'd listen to what you say". Ziyi was partly responsible for their issues in the past. Whether or not Yibo mentioned it, he intended to stay as far as he could away from her.

......

After dinner, Xiao Zhan had loosened up a little. Unknowingly, his feelings were gradually getting better. He felt he could control things and stop them from getting out of hand. If things really did become unbearable, he would leave quietly. He didn't intend to put his loved ones through all of that anymore. Also, there was a certain feeling in his chest he could not quite get used to. He decided to visit a cardiologist soon.

"Should we head back home?", Yibo was referring to the apartment he shared with Xiao Zhan. "I'm lonely without you, I miss you".

Xiao Zhan recalled that night, they ended up in bed and they overindulged a little. They were both unable to stand properly the next day. He decided to tease a little.

"If you submit to me this time around, I'd gladly follow you home", Xiao Zhan had a smirk on his face. He intended to tease seriously but couldn't withstand the look on Yibo's face so he burst out laughing.

Yibo was certainly not expecting that. Never in the previous life did that happen so he wasn't prepared. He concluded that he was too rough the last time so Zhan wasn't too excited to be penetrated anytime soon. Before he could agree to Xiao Zhan's suggestion, he heard him speak.

"I was just joking. I have things to do for my mum tonight, I can't go back with you, I'm sorry".

Back at Xiao Zhan's home, Xiao Zhan was contemplating whether to give Yibo a kiss before going in as he usually did or to just walk away. He felt Yibo reach out to him and pull him into a tight hug, then whispered in his ear, "You can talk to me, you can tell me if there's ever anything you want to talk about. I'd always listen to you". Of course Yibo noticed he had been acting different of late, he just couldn't wrap his head around what was actually different.

At that moment, Xiao Zhan wanted to tell Yibo everything, to ease the burden in his chest but he couldn't find the right words to say. Instead, he ended up nodding. Maybe he didn't have to lose Yibo in this lifetime. The thought of that, though brought some sort of joy in his heart, it also made him very worried.

......

When Xiao Zhan entered the house, his father was reading a pamphlet, upon closer look, it turned out to be an investment brochure. Xiao Zhan remembered this was how his father lost all he had. They turned out to be a Ponzi scheme and their downfall was barely a month after his father put in all his money.

"Dad, don't invest in that company. They run a Ponzi scheme".

His father adjusted his glasses and asked Xiao Zhan how he knew. Zhan claimed he had heard about them from a mutual friend, if his father didn't believe him, all he had to do was wait for a few months and see how they turn out.

Xiao Zhan's father was originally wary of this investment. He considered it because a 'marketer' had painted it in the most beautiful light. With Zhan's warning, he decided to hold on for the time being. Even if he was going to invest, he was going to start with less than 10% of what he had.

Yibo got to his apartment and as soon as he entered the elevator, he saw some pamphlets lying around. People often used that as a means of advertising their work and Yibo never paid attention to them but for some reason, he picked one up to read.

The moment he saw the name on the company, he remembered what happened to Xiao Zhan's father. The whole thing was to take place in a few months so it was only logical that his father would be considering investing around this time. He immediately called Xiao Zhan over the phone.

"Have you heard of xxx investment company?"

Xiao Zhan was taken aback. Why did Yibo suddenly ask? He replied with a "hmm".

"A'Zhan, don't do any business with them. Tell your parents also to stay away from them. I got first class information that they run a Ponzi scheme. I'm worried because they target the elderly who have retired, trying to have them invest their retirement funds. Please take my words seriously".

Xiao Zhan didn't reply. He cut the call immediately. All of this was too much to take in. Yibo's cold attitude to Ziyi, mentioning his father's retirement funds and the xxx investment company. Xiao Zhan felt light headed. Yibo asked him to open up if there was anything but it seemed Yibo was also hiding something