Broken up?

"Ok, so that should do it." I take the Spoon of Prosperity off Chocoberry's face and stash it in my bag. "Come to the palace if you start draining again but that isn't usual with vampire bites."

Back at the palace, Marceline is playing a game on BMO. She chuckles, then sees me.

"Oh, I've gotta go. I...left Hambo at my house." she flies out of the window. I shrug and continue where she left off on the video game.

It's past noon when I hear the sound of a chord being struck on a bass. Intrigued, I go outside to find Marceline is floating above the heads of around fifty people, including Finn and Jake. Marcy catches my eye and grins evilly.

"This song goes out to someone I recently realized a truth about.

Don't you see? / You're exactly what I don't want to be/ Honestly/ You're a walking, talking candy tragedy/ Can't believe/ That I almost thought that we were meant to be/  Can't believe/ That I almost thought you cared about me."

I gasp. Me. She's singing to me. What on earth? I'm too shocked to notice Finn and Jake's dumbfounded faces.

"I'm so glad that I woke up!/ I'm sick of living under your thumb/ I'm so glad that I woke up/ I don't really care about your stupid candy kingdom.

I should say/ That you're kind of a dictator in a way/ You're to blame/ You're a constant source of misery and pain/ What a shame/ You're so stuck-up I know you won't change/ Out of frame/ No, I don't believe you cared about me."

I've heard enough, too much already. I run upstairs to my chambers and throw myself onto my bed. The song is playing loud enough to be heard up here though, so I run to the top of the castle, climb the Candy Tree and sit in its highest branches, sobbing. Though I can no longer hear the song, the lyrics I did hear are blending my brain into anguish and cold, cold sadness. I can tell when the song is finished when Marceline swoops into the air and dives for her cave. Tears stream down my face long after night fall, and I can see bats flying through the sky. Maybe one of them is Marcy...Marceline. No longer mine. She could already be Ash's, or even Finn's. I tell myself that a woman that sings that to her girlfriend when she is working her butt off to save her life shouldn't be worth grieving, but I can't help it. I already miss her coarse, black locks, her chords emitting from her axe-bass, her humorous quips and practical jokes. 

You're a constant source of misery and pain.

Finn was wrong...we're too different to make cute wife-wife biz...and BMO was wrong too...we would never be aunties...and I was wrong too.

I wasn't the best thing that happened to her. I'm a dictator, I'm to blame, I'm a tragedy.

Not as Bonnibel Bubblegum

Finn the Human and Jake the Dog stood, shocked, as Marceline bowed to a standing ovation. 

"Finn..." Jake said, tugging on his brother's shirt, "Who...who did Marcy w-write that for?"

Finn sighed and sat down. "Bonnie. Why? Why would she do that?"

"I saw PB run into the castle. Should we go get her?" The dog was already stretching toward the door.

"No, we should talk to Marceline first. Yo, Marcy!" Finn pushed through the crowd, "What's with the song?"

"Oh, hey Finn! Yeah, they seem to love it, don't they?" Marceline laughed.

If only I could remember what I sang.

"Yeah, but why was it so mean? You really upset Bonnie."

At the word Bonnie, it was like a switch had flipped in Marceline's head. She hissed.

"Bonnie?" she spat out scathingly, "D'you think I care what Bonnie thinks AT ALL?!"

Finn seemed to shrink, "I mean, she's kind of your girlfriend...?"

Marceline laughed; a scratchy, horrible sound that reinstated Jake's fear of vampires. "I'd like to think even she's got the brains to know that's over now. Hahahaha!" She flew into the sky, hat and gloves protecting her from the deadly sun rays. Finn and Jake rushed into the castle to look for PB.

Bonnibel Bubblegum

I raise my head from my knees to catch the first rays of dawn on my face. I haven't slept a wink, still in the candy tree, instead reliving every moment of the last few weeks, trying to find out what went wrong.

"Hey, PB." Finn's empathetic voice makes me move my limbs for the first time in over twelve hours. I see Finn and BMO, stretched up to my hiding place upon Jake. BMO runs up to my, arms wide open. She tackles me into a monster hug.

"Oh, Auntie Bonnie!" she sobs, "I know it is sad, but the best thing to do is accept and move on!" She grips me tighter and stifles her sobs. Jake stretches his mouth next to my ear and whispers "She's been working on that all night."

I'm caught in a pang of guilt. "How long have you been looking for me?"

"Since Marcy's song!" Jake says proudly, but he's having trouble keeping his head up.

"You guys!" I say, pulling Finn and Jake into BMO's hug, "You don't have to look out for me! I can deal with myself. I'm like a thousand years old."

Jake, back to his old self, takes BMO home with him and Finn. I walk into my chambers and find a sock of Marceline's she left behind. In an attempt to leave her behind me, I throw it unceremoniously, out of the window. 

The longing to bring it back is almost too powerful.