1: The Arrival

Wei Wuxian was very, very ungracefully aroused from his sleep, his dream of being fed lotus pork ribs soup made by his Shije being broken. He cracked his eyes to see Jiang Cheng hovering next to his bed, his permanent scowl in place as he stared at his adopted brother as if he were a polluting corpse. Wei Wuxian groans as he stretches, his spine popping, his messed-up robe slipping off his torso. He yawns widely as he narrows his eyes at his brother who still scowls at him. "why did you wake me up at this ungodly hour?" he asks, sitting up on his bed. He kicks the sheets off and swings his legs over the edge of the bed. He jabs a finger against Jiang Cheng's chest, hard. His brother bats his hand away, with more force than strictly necessary. "it is seven" he says, frowning at Wei Wuxian distastefully. Wei Wuxian gasps as if his entire life was being stolen away without warning. Jiang Cheng cuts off his protest as he retorts, "the Lan, Nie and Jin clans are arriving" and Jiang Cheng was out of the room. Wei Wuxian scrambles to freshen up and dress, not keen on engaging in another round of whipping with Zidian. By the time he is finished, his Shije waits for him outside his room, promising sneaked in breakfast. She ushers them towards the dock. Sect leader Jiang Fengmian and Madam Yu already waits there, with a cluster of Yunmeng Jiang disciples and Jiang Cheng. Madam Yu glares at Wei Wuxian as he enters the crowd and stands next to his brother, Jiang Yanli on the other side.  Wei Wuxian catches Madam Yu giving him a glare that can be easily translated to "you are late". Wei Wuxian flinches and gives Madam Yu an apologetic smile, she scoffs and ignores him, turning to see the horizon carpeted with water. Wei Wuxian was getting bored of waiting. He was going to yawn as he daydreamed about his bed, when a disciple shouted "They have arrived!". the crowd turns to see a silhouette of a boat floating towards the pier. Wei Wuxian waits until it's near enough for him to gouge which sect it is. The boat comes to view, filled with young masters of the Nie clan. The sect leader, Nie  Mingjue stands in front of the boat with a frown that makes him look permanently ill tempered. His younger brother, Nie Huaisang, shrunk by his brother's side. Hiding behind his fan he stole terrified glances at his brother who kept glaring at him for his timidity, Nie Huaisang barely reached his brother's shoulders. Wei Wuxian grins at the younger of the two, waving his hands madly in greeting. Nie Huaisang returns the gesture, he almost hits Nie Mingjue with his fan as he waves. One look from sect leader Nie and  Huaisang's arms are back against his sides and he shoots a timid smile to the Jiang siblings. The boat finally reaches the dock. The Nie cultivators descend from the boat and greets the Jiang sect. Madam Yu dispatches the cultivators with the servants to their guest quarters. The Nie brother waits for the other sects arrival with them. Wei Wuxian makes small talk with Nie Huaisang and his siblings.

The Jin sect arrives next. The Jin sect heir, Jin Zixuan, is perched on the front, his confidence giving off an almost arrogant air. Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng gives collective sighs at the sight of him, glaring with distaste. Jiang Yanli elbows them, a silent warning to behave. When the boat reaches the dock, Jin Zixuan ignores the two, like the two him, but he sneaks a glance at Jiang Yanli. The Cultivators are taken to their rooms. 

Wei Wuxian watches as the final sect's boat comes floating into view. Just like the rumors, the  Lans commanded attention. Wei Wuxian had never seen the Lans, or in fact, gone to any  sect meetings where he could have seen them. All he knew about the Gusu Lan sect was from others. Jiang Cheng knew them, he had gone with his father to the meetings. Wei Wuxian craned his neck, eager to see the infamous Lan clan. They were rumored to be perfect. No over reactions, all good looking people. They were trained to have perfect discipline, with three thousand rules to rule each action and thought. Wei Wuxian had been astonished at the number of rules, he had jokingly said that if he were to know them he'd have a constant headache.   

The boat came into view and Wei Wuxian froze. In the front where two almost identical men in pristine uniforms. They almost seemed to shine in the gentle sunlight. They were similar enough to pass for as twins, but the more Wei Wuxian looked closer, the more he picked apart the stark differences. One of them was taller than the other, he had dark eyes and a friendly smile. the other had a cold face, giving him an unapproachable air, he had golden eyes and sharp features. Both of them were beautiful. Wei Wuxian watched as the Lans stepped down onto the dock, the taller man greeting Jiang Fengmian, Wei Wuxian guessed that would be the sect leader Lan Xichen. Wei Wuxian was more intrigued by the other boy. He nudges Jiang Cheng who scowls at him. "hey, Jiang Cheng, who's that boy next to sect leader Lan?" his brother gives Wei Wuxian a weird look, "you seriously don't know the Lan Wangji?" Wei Wuxian grins, winks dramatically and says "now I do" his brother just roughly elbows him and turns away. Wei Wuxian shifted his attention to the Sect Leaders and Madam Yu. Lan Wangji was listening to something his brother was saying when he felt someone staring. Wei Wuxian grinned when pretty boy turned to him, but pouted just as quickly when Lan Wangji proceeded to ignore him.  

Madam Yu looked impressed by the orderly Lans as she orders the servants to show their guests to their rooms. Jiang Fengmian turns leads the sect leaders to his study. Madam Yu turns to Wei Wuxian, glaring with hard eyes as she warns him using that strict tone specially reserved for Wei Wuxian, "You, Wei Ying, will not tarnish the dignity of the Jiang Sect. Understood?" Wei Wuxian bows low as he answers "Yes, Madam Yu" then she stomps away with her husband and the sect leaders. Wei Wuxian notices Lan Wangji standing a little away from them. He grins and begins to greet him but is cut off by Jiang Cheng who says "second young master Lan and Nie Huaisang, please follow me, I'll show you to your rooms" Wei Wuxian pouts at his brother but he is ignored. the two follow Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian and his Shije is left to trail at the back. He turns his pout at Jiang Yanli, "why is A-Cheng so rude to me? I just wanted to talk to Second Young master Lan" his Shije laughs and pats his cheek. "maybe he knew A-Xian will just annoy Young master Lan."  Wei Wuxian gasps in fake hurt, "I would never!"

After ensuring all guests were in place, the Jiang siblings and Wei Wuxian leaves to their separate rooms. One of them still thinking about a certain golden eyed youth.

A/n: It is my first non Taejin fic. But I love this fandom and had already written this work in my book and wanted to share it. 

The artwork for the cover and in the beginning belong to the respective artists I found in Tumblr. The cover belongs to Tumblr artist Zeldacw