6: Kites

Towards the end of the class Wei Wuxian noticed how Jin Zixuan was glancing at Jiang Yanli every time he was able to tear his eyes away from Lan Wangji. Wei Wuxian had let it go, consoling his troubled mind by promising he'd do something if Jin Zixuan did something to his Shije. 

When the class had finished, Wei Wuxian had bid Nie Huaisang goodbye and dragged his siblings towards the training ground. They walked with Jiang Yanli looping an arm each through her brothers'. They were nearing the grounds when an older disciple came running towards them and delivered a message form Madam Yu, summoning Jiang Yanli for a conversation. Jiang Yanli left her brothers with a promise of joining them later. Wei Wuxian glanced at Jiang Cheng and the look on his face suggested he was thinking the same thing as Wei Wuxian. 

Jiang Cheng shrugs and nudges Wei Wuxian. "We'll talk to her later. Let's go shoot some kites" Wei Wuxian grins at him, "eager to lose, A-Cheng?" Jiang Cheng doesn't dignify him a response, he scoffs and generously elbows Wei Wuxian before storming towards a gaggle of young disciples who were already flying kites. Wei Wuxian watches his brother go, but a sudden flash draws his eyes. "Lan Zhan!" Wei Wuxian yells when he catches sight of him. Lan Wangji looks up from the corridor that leads to the main halls of Lotus Pier, separating the grounds from it's infrastructure. Wei Wuxian grins as he shouts at Lan Wangji "shoot kites with us!". He waves his arms to emphasize his point. Lan Wangji hesitates before he inches forward. When he's in the range of speaking normally without shouting to be heard he says, "Young Master Wei, I must decline your offer" Wei Wuxian's smile slips into a pout, "Why?! Flying kites is really fun, even more so when you aim for one!" Wei Wuxian whines. Lan Wangji opens his mouth to retort but Wei Wuxian is too impatient  to listen. He drags Lan Wangji towards the crowd, his hand tight around Lan Wangji's warm wrist. Jiang Cheng stares at them with a strange look as they approach. "Second Young Master Lan, I am sorry if Wei Wuxian has troubled you." he greets. Wei Wuxian cuts Lan Wangji off again, enjoying the frustrated frown he gives, and exclaims "I was not!" Jiang Cheng rolls his eyes, but he leans close to whisper to his brother, "Since when did you two become close to be on first name basis?" Wei Wuxian shrugs and grins devilishly "why? jealous?" Jiang Cheng elbows Wei Wuxian hard. He wonders if he'd have a permanent bruise on his ribs in the shape of Jiang Cheng's elbow. 

Lan Wangji is surrounded by the other juniors soon.  They gape at him, impressed by the newcomer's spotless robes, headband and beautiful features. Wei Wuxian couldn't help but feel that Lan Wangji has never stood out as much before this. Lan Wangji looks like a trapped animal, his muscles stiff and face unreadable. Wei Wuxian takes pity on him and shoos the crowd away and shouts with an excited tone, "Lets shoot the kites!" the juniors cheers as they handle bows and arrows around to those who wants them. 

Wei Wuxian hands a bow and few arrows to Lan Wangji who takes them but gives a puzzled look to Wei Wuxian. Jiang Cheng, with his own bow and arrows, starts explaining the rules to Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian listens as he keeps a watchful eye on the excitable juniors. "The kite would be set free and those who can shoot the kite at the farthest will win. The juniors will run to check whose fallen kite is further and announces the winner " Lan Wangji nods his understanding. 

A few juniors cheer for a girl who wins that round against a sad looking boy who steps down from the raised land. Wei Wuxian beckons his brother for a round. Wei Wuxian takes a stand and watches from the corner of his eyes at Lan Wangji who is observing them, a little away from the crowd. He takes his stance. They raise their bows together after a pair of kites is set loose. Wei Wuxian waits until his target drifts far enough to ensure a win. Jiang Cheng lets his arrow go after Wei Wuxian does and watches as two girls runs away to find the kites. Wei Wuxian nods at Lan Wangji "Lan Zhan! compete with me!" 

Lan Wangji takes Jiang Cheng's place after he steps down. Wei Wuxian flashes a bright smile towards him, Lan Wangji simply blinks at him, causing Wei Wuxian to end up laughing, finding that action done with apparent disinterest quite funny. Wei Wuxian gestures the juniors to set another pair of kite loose. He turns to his competitor, "You do know archery, right?" he meant it as a teasing, every young master was taught the six fine arts, archery being one of them. Lan Wangji glances at Wei Wuxian and does not answer, instead lifting his arms in a perfect stance. Wei Wuxian stares at him, admiring the focused amber eyes and strong arms positioned in a perfect stance. Wei Wuxian drags his eyes back onto the kites who seemed quite far away. Wei Wuxian lets his arrow go, shortly followed by Lan Wangji. He watched the two girls returning with tattered kites from his and Jiang Cheng's round. 

Jiang Cheng, surprisingly, wins that round. Wei Wuxian begins to jab at his brother, hiding his happiness when Jiang Cheng visibly brightens at the news. A few minutes later a pair of boys comes with another set of tattered kite and declares Lan Wangji as the winner. Wei Wuxian wails that everyone is beating him at his own expertise. Lan Wangji looks at Wei Wuxian before his attention is drawn by the admiring Juniors who group around him and showers  him with compliments. Lan Wangji nods at them respectfully and hands over his bow to a senior disciple, who bats her eyes as she brushes their fingers together. Wei Wuxian, of course, sees that, he rolls his eyes hard. He glares at the fawning crowd of girls and fold his arms over his chest, causing Jiang Cheng to snort and punch his arm. Lan Wangji, looking overwhelmed extracts himself from the crowd and walks towards the two. He bows his head at them, "Wei Ying, Young master Jiang, thank you for inviting me. I shall leave now" and he walks away, his pace fast and brisk. 

Wei Wuxian frowned all the way back to his room, Jiang Cheng an overbearing and teasing presence next to him. Jiang Yanli waits for them with bowls laden with her lotus pork ribs soup set for three on Wei Wuxian's tea table. She smiles at the two of them as they enter. "had fun?" she asks as they sit down, pushing the bowls near to them. Wei Wuxian nods, his mouth stuffed with delicious food. Jiang Cheng grins as he says, "Wei Ying got beat twice, by me and Lan Wangji." he says and a dangerous glint lights his eyes, Wei Wuxian swallows too late to stop him, "He was too busy scowling at the girls who flirted with Lan Wangji" Wei Wuxian splutters as he reaches over to swat at Jiang Cheng. Jiang Yanli raises her eyebrows at Wei Wuxian, "A-Xian" Wei Wuxian pouts, glaring petulantly at his brother "He's lying. I was just expressing for Lan Zhan, I'm sure he hates being touched and surrounded"  he defends, though he can't stop his cheeks from heating up. 

"Of course A-Xian." she says as he cards her slender fingers through his gruffy messed up hair. Her eyes are knowing and teasing, causing Wei Wuxian's pout to be fuller. Jiang Cheng scoffs loudly, "you call him using his birth name"  Wei Wuxian bristles "he calls me by my birth name too!". Jiang Yanli laughs at her  brothers' antics. But it instantly draws their attention. Jiang Cheng speaks up first, "What did A-niang call you for?" Jiang Yanli's smile dims instantly. She looks down and says in a low voice "The engagement with Young master Jin is broken". The three let out a sigh together, Jiang Yanli's was not that of relief. Her brothers noticed. Jiang Cheng turns towards a sheepish Wei Wuxian, "What did you do Wei Wuxian?" he only grins wider, "we fought"