21: The Beginning

Wei Wuxian should have know Lan Wangji would recover fast. He was one of the strongest cultivators of their generations after all.  And moreover, Wei Wuxian had discovered that Lan Wangji was very stubborn in being independent and that involved in healing fast enough to not depend on others. But, that did not prepare Wei Wuxian when Lan Wangji was discharged from the medical bay of Lotus Pier with an awestruck doctor Wen Qing, who decided to tag along with her brother and the civilians who were given a place in Yunmeng. Wen Ning had intrigued Wei Wuxian with his perfect archery skills and aim but had a average golden core and cultivation skills. He had often poked at Wen Ning's mouse like personality, trying to get him out oh his shell but, to be fair, Wei Wuxian was terrified of Wen Qing, so he made sure to keep his neck out of line by backing out before Wen Ning became overwhelmed and decided to tell on him to his sister.

Ah! now we are just trailing off. Back to Wei Wuxian and his crisis. To be on point, Wei Wuxian was freaking out. After Lan Wangji's recovery which lasted for a mere three days, Wei Wuxian knew he would be leaving soon. He knew Lan Wangji had said he would allow Wei Wuxian to tour him around Yunmeng, he was still paranoid. So, Wei Wuxian did what he was good at. He pretended he was all right in front of Lan Wangji when he went to meet him and walk him back to his guest quarters. He had avoided the worried and knowing eyes of his Shije and Jiang Cheng's irritated eyerolls for the day, instead choosing to hound Lan Wangji and get some reassurance of his extended stay (indirectly, of course)

"Lan Zhan! remember you said I'd give you a tour around here? So.. are you still up for it?" Wei Wuxian cringed and commented himself on his subtilty. He wanted to hit himself. Hard. Lan Wangji looks at him with intense golden eyes and silence. Wei Wuxian feels his anxiety increase, but it all but evaporated when Lan Wangji replied, "Yes". He grinned hard and grabbed Lan Wangji's sleeve. "So, does tomorrow sound good?" Lan Wangji nodded. Wei Wuxian walked with him till they reached the latter's room, both of them stopped in their tracks when  they saw Lan Xichen standing in front of Lan Wangji's door.

"Brother?" he questioned, leaving Wei Wuxian behind so he could talk with his brother. Lan Xichen smiled politely at Wei Wuxian who bowed to show his respect. "Wangji, can I talk to you for a while?" He looked at Wei Wuxian and the glance told him that it was a private matter. Wei Wuxian smiled at the Lan brothers and said, "I'll leave you two now. See you tomorrow Lan Zhan!" he said and bounded back towards the training grounds where he planned to get some sort of outlet for his nerves, but he did not miss the raised eyebrows Lan Xichen gave his brother though.

                                                                 **************************************

Apparently, Lan Xichen had come to discuss that he was need at the Cloud Recesses, their uncle needing help with their father too sick and unable to do any thing to help, they anticipated the worst for him and wanted their home re-erected  before something happened to their father. Lan Wangji had said that he had promised Wei Wuxian about the tour around Yunmeng and that Lan Xichen could go ahead and he would join in a few days, and in case he was needed he can be called for and he'd come flying. Lan Xichen had looked at him intensely for a a good two minutes and then smiled, his eyes knowing, before he agreed.

Lan Wangji had sent his brother off with Wei Wuxian and the Jiang family after dinner that night. He had then proceeded to go to bed with his mind filled with different theories and visions of his day with Wei Wuxian he would have tomorrow. He knew Wei Wuxian wanted to tell him something, but he was nervous, only years of keeping his face an unreadable mask succeeding in hiding his nerves away. Lan Wangji dearly hoped what Wei Wuxian wanted to tell him was something he wanted to hear dearly.

                                                                            *****************************

Wei Wuxian dragged Lan Wangji through nearly all the stalls that lined the docks of the Yunmeng near to the Jiang sect jurisdiction. His hand was twisted into Lan Wangji's sleeve, barely letting it go until he had to. He forced Lan Wangji to try and eat all his favourite foods, his excitement and  fluttering heart causing him to forget about the delicate palate of food the Lans usually ate. Lan Wangji did not deny Wei Wuxian anything, eating the too spicy scallion pancakes and too sweet dumplings. He only refused the alcohol Wei Wuxian offered, the latter not pressuring him but did not hold back on his teasing. Wei Wuxian felt his heart thrum heavily in his chest as the sun went from one point to another. He had run out of places to show Lan Wangji, the lotus lakes were not in season and held only water. So he took Lan Wangji to a small hill, on the outskirts of Yunmeng. He had often gone there to watch the sunset and for some peculiar reason it reminded him of Lan Wangji's eyes when he would glare or when they would be lit by the dying  sunlight. 

Wei Wuxian dragged Lan Wangji up the hill until they reached the big boulder where he usually found himself perched upon whenever he was missing Lan Wangji too much or just needed peace.  He turned to Lan Wangji, his fingers tightening around Lan Wangji's wrist, "Let's sit here. The sunset it beautiful from here." Lan Wangji let an acknowledging hum and climbed up on the boulder. Wei Wuxian sat next to him, close enough for their shoulders to brush. 

He watched the sun set and dip below the horizon, the water sparling with the light. He felt his heart race and knew that it was time. He was going to confess. He turned to Lan Wangji, who was already looking at him.  Wei Wuxian felt the words dying it's death before it even formed in his lips. Lan Wangji looked ethereal under the sunset light. His golden eyes looked like a candle flame, bright and gentle but filled with a beautiful intensity. "Lan Zhan.." Wei Wuxian whispered. His brain unable to form any more sentences. Lan Wangji seemed to have a better idea though. He leaned in and kissed Wei Wuxian.

They kissed until the sun had set completely and the stars had came up, blinking innocently at them. When they leaned back, their eyes reflecting the other and starlight, Wei Wuxian grinned his big goofy smile, hell, even Lan Wangji smiled, lips pulling into the smallest of a happy smile. "I have been wanting that to happen for so long" Wei Wuxian whispered. Lan Wangji smiled and leaned in again, to steal his breath and make him happy.

Back in Lotus Pier Jiang Yanli held back Jiang Cheng who seemed to be on the edge sending a search party for his brother and Lan Wangji. Only Jiang Yanli's talk of 'they could be finally getting together after all that pinning A-Xian went through' caging him from hunting his brother back and demanding an answer. That night, Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji came in late at night to a pissed off Jiang Cheng and a knowing Jiang Yanli. It was a perfect end to the older chapters of his life. He began his new life chapters with Lan Wangji right next to him.

A/n: Aaannnddd!!!!! I'm done! FYI, I suck at endings