10: Guess It's Goodbye

On another feast, filled with all the same people from the first one and merry voices. All the previous laughter and talk had seemed to intensify as the people had gotten to know each other, friendships and relationships had blossomed among the disciples. Jiang Fengmian had returned a few days before, the day after Wei Wuxian's realization to  be precise. The hall filled with an excited air, due to the fact that Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan's relationship had somehow gotten out, though it was restricted to the two sects' tables. Wei Wuxian let his gaze be focused on Lan Wangji, who like the rest of the Gusu Lan disciples were eating in dead silence. Wei Wuxian had been barely successful in keeping his eyes away from his interest. Jiang Cheng had tried some, then his Shije, both had not been able to keep him from staring blatantly. Wei Wuxian darted his gaze to Jiang Cheng who was holding conversation with Nie Huaisang. His Shije was having a silent conversation with Jin Zixuan with her eyes. Wei Wuxian rolls his eyes and focuses on his food, feeling left behind. 

Wei Wuxian rose his head up when he felt Jiang Fengmian stand and the hall fell quite, just as the feast was winding up to it's end. It was his natural instinct to look at Madam Yu, she seemed unaffected. Wei Wuxian noticed her hand flying up to a jade  hairpin twisted into her hair, which he had never seen before, every now and then, as she sipped her tea and ate.  Jiang Fengmian came to him and whispered, "A-Xian, meet me outside after you finish eating. I have something to tell you." Having said that, he left, smiling at Madam Yu, who (to the shock of Wei Wuxian and the Jiang siblings) smiled back. Wei Wuxian was elbowed on his side, as he increased his pace to eat. Jiang Cheng leaned in to whisper, "What was that?" Wei Wuxian shrugs as he downs the last dregs of soup. He bids his brother and sister goodbye, glances at Lan Wangji's place only to find him missing. Wei Wuxian frowns, thinking back to when Lan Zhan could have slipped past, but shrugs it off when he sees Jiang Fengmian a little away from the entrance. 

Jiang Fengmian watches Wei Wuxian as he makes his way over to him. He clasps his adoptive son's shoulder  and smiles fondly. "Uncle Fengmian, what did you want me for?" Wei Wuxian asks smiling widely. Jiang Fengmian looks at him for a while before he answers, "A-Cheng told me about your friendship with Second Young Master Lan." Wei Wuxian's throat lumped up, not knowing what Jiang Cheng had told him about, but he freezes when he hears the rest of his Uncle Fengmian's words, "So, I thought it would be safe to assume you would want to bid him goodbye? He's leaving back to Gusu due to a family emergency." Wei Wuxian feels panic rise as he roams his eyes around to catch white robes and golden eyes. Lan Wangji was not in sight. Jiang Fengmian laughs lightly as he sees Wei Wuxian looking panicked. "He's not far. Just went to pack up his belongings. He will be walking to the docks from there." Wei Wuxian sighs, similes at Jiang Fengmian and runs away to catch up to Lan Wangji. 

Wei Wuxian manages to catch Lan Wangji on his way to the dock from the guest quarters. "Lan Zhan!" he yells when he spots the boy. Lan Wangji pauses and turns to see Wei Wuxian running towards him, "Wei Ying" he says unable to keep the surprise out of his voice. He reaches up to the boy, panting lightly as he laughs. "Why so surprised? Can't I see off my friend?" Lan Wangji looks as him with confusion as he retorts, "We are not friends" it seems a lie to his own ears. Wei Wuxian only laughs, "Ouch Lan Zhan! That hurt!" Lan Wangji huffs as he turns and continues walking, Wei Wuxian next to him. 

They walk in uncommon silence, the chilly night air tugging at loose robes and their hair. Wei Wuxian feels his heart beat heavier with each step. He was already dreading the days when he could not just tease Lan Wangji and get a rise out of him and use that as excuse to be close to the boy.  Wei Wuxian sighs as the docks come into sight.  Wei Wuxian's lips tugged down into an unconscious frown.  "will you be using a boat?" He asked to fill the silence. Lan Wangji was looking at him, "No, I will fly to Gusu" he says. Lan Wangji unsheathes his sword. Wei Wuxian smiled at him and felt his heart rise up to his throat when Lan Wangji boarded Bichen. He darted his hand out to hold his companion's wrist. Lan Wangji startles at the unexpected contact. "Lan Zhan" Wei Wuxian says and suddenly he feels out of words. Lan Wangji waits patiently as he hovers on Bichen. Wei Wuxian, after a few beats of silence and staring back at those intense golden eyes, lets go off his wrist and stepped back. Wei Wuxian shakes his head and smiles, "Guess it's goodbye, huh?" Lan Wangji nods and seems to hesitate. "Goodbye, Wei Ying." and he's  off. 

Wei Wuxian watches until he's nothing but a speck of white on the horizon. He collapses onto the dock, the wooden planks digging into his tailbone. He sits there until the cold becomes too much and he walks back to his quarters where Jiang Cheng and Nie Huaisang waits with jars of lotus wine. Wei Wuxian is oddly grateful.