Chapter 67: Doctor, Doctor!

Tig is feeling deflated when Sydney goes out of her way to make sure that he doesn't accompany her to her doctor's appointment, but she shows him that playing doctor is much more fun.

General trigger warnings for this story: Language, smut, mentions of rape, mentions of drug use/overdose, violence/death, racism/gang activity.

Be sure to follow aravenamongcrows on Tumblr (ask & submissions are open), and m.s.alexis on Instagram (tracking #aravenamongcrows), for exclusive photos, updates, and more!

 Tig strolled up the stone pathway to Sydney's house with a smile; something that he was becoming more accustomed to having as a part of his daily routine as the days passed by. He stopped his stride as he allowed himself to take in the peaceful moment, sucking in a deep, cleansing breath of warm, summer's eve air as he admired the beautifully pink and orange painted sky beyond the tall brown house, the faint sound of country music coming from the backyard adding the final touch to the euphoric moment. But he realize that the peaceful melody wasn't the only thing that was coming from the backyard, his brows wrinkling as he let the aroma of freshly-barbecued meat lead him inside, following his nose all the way through the house and out the back door where he found Sydney swaying in tune with the song as she flipped steaks on the grill.

"Baby," he sighed, sliding up behind her where he wrapped her up in his arms as she looked over her shoulder with a grin. "You didn't have to cook," he shook his head as he kissed her jaw.

"I did." Sydney scoffed, turning in his arms where she wrapped hers around his neck, hanging off of his shoulders as she pulled him in time with the music while she leaned up to kiss him. She had been living off of takeout and coffee for weeks, she was dying to not only be able to enjoy, but to make a home-cooked meal again. "Besides," she smirked as she pulled away from his lips. "Isn't that why you got me all these groceries?"

"I got 'em so that I could feed you, not the other way around." He shook his head with a sly smile, placing his hands on her hips.

"Guess you're just gonna have to beat me to it next time," she grinned as she made to pinch his nose with the barbecue-sauce-covered tongs, laughing as he flinched.

Tig laughed with her, a warm smile radiating from his weary face as she goofed around—a sight that he was still grateful to see after such a shaky few weeks. He knew that the depth of his worry was often unwarranted, but with the life that he'd lived and the shit he'd seen, it'd become all too easy to subscribe to the idea that happiness wouldn't last.

Sydney made a show of setting the tongs down and stepping away from the barbecue where they were now out of reach, smiling when he pulled her back into his arms. "I missed this..." She whispered as she rested her head against his chest while they swayed slowly around the patio.

"I don't remember any of our dances being this slow," he chuckled with his lips on the top of her head.

"I just missed being able to do it." She lifted her head, resting her chin against his chest as she looked up at him, staring longingly into those crystal blue eyes.