Chapter 41: No Rest for the Brokenhearted

Tig finds himself back in Nevada, but it isn't smooth sailing this time as he finds himself drowning in his demons, even while stranded in the desert. Meanwhile, Sydney does what she can to fill the void that he left in her heart, but an unexpected visit only manages to widen it.

General trigger warnings for this story: Language, smut, mentions of rape, abuse, drug use/overdose, violence/death, racism/gang activity

Be sure to follow aravenamongcrows on Tumblr (ask & submissions are open), and m.s.alexis on Instagram (tracking #aravenamongcrows), for exclusive photos, updates, and more!

"Trouble in Nevada. Tig says that the Mayans got Jury and the rest of Indian Hills trapped at the Vegas clubhouse." Clay sighed from the head of the table.

Sydney tensed up when she heard Tig's name, immediately reaching for the necklace that she hoped would shield her fidgeting from the inquisitive eyes that she could feel surrounding her, before realizing that it wasn't there. She took a deep breath as she felt the panic filling her lungs, the unease locking her throat, the concern heaving her chest - transferring her worry to the first thing she could think of; Happy. But the distraction didn't hold much weight as she tried to force herself to stress about her best friend who was likely on his way to Indian Hills to throw the Sergeant a beating, when she knew that he was easily the safest lone rider out of the bunch.

"Because of what we did?" Jax raised a brow.

"We don't know anything." Clay shut him down, rubbing his forehead in frustration.

"Were we followed?" Opie suggested, looking to what remained of their lookout crew.

"Who would follow us?" Bobby scoffed.

"ATF?" He stated with a brow raised, as if it had been the most obvious explanation - because it was.

Sydney's panic attack was temporarily curbed by the tall man's theory; a theory that she needed to keep off of the table before it could be too heavily considered. "ATF followed us, didn't arrest us, then went and told the rival gang what we did in order to kick off more violence. Yeah? That makes sense to you?" She spoke incredulously before tossing Jax an explanatory glance. They knew one fed who would definitely do something like that.

"Maybe one of the Mayans saw you while you were having your temper tantrum and called Alvarez." He retorted with a shrug.

"Hey! This was not her fault." Jax raised his voice, the irony of the situation not being lost on him when just the other day Opie had been defending her against him. "You saw what happened, those Mayans had no clue that they were about to be ambushed." He shook his head.

"Is there any way that the Mayans could've found out that we were bringin' up the guns to Indian Hills?" Chibs offered up.

"Why go after Jury and not the truck?" Clay knew that there was a vital piece of the puzzle missing here. "We lay low until we find out what this heat is about." He concluded with a stern glance around the table, not worrying too much about going underground when no one had been hurt, the threat wasn't local, and they wouldn't be doing any gun sales until McKeevy returned on the weekend.