Chapter Three

Jaggedpaw's POV

I woke up to a sharp prod in my side and as I opened my eyes, I realized it was my dedicated mentor, Skystorm. She had a sweet and kind look on her face. Did I sleep in? I wondered. "Come on, we're going on a patrol to see StreamClan's border." I hopped up immediately and squeezed past the she-cat, excited to protect my territory.

"Who are we with?" I asked Skystorm as she padded after me. I waited by the entrance as my mentor took her time to catch up. "Coldwish and Greypaw." I nodded just as the two toms joined us. Coldwish took the lead while Greypaw and I hopped around the patrol, excited.

"I bet those fish-faces are going to cause trouble! If they do I'm going to claw their ears off and-" I started, stopping to claw at the air, but Skystorm interrupted me before I could get into any real detail. "You will do no such thing unless I give you my say so." She advised. I groaned and hurried to catch up.

"I bet they have gills like fish," Greypaw murmured to me quietly. I purred, "I bet when they touch the water, their tails turn into fish tails!" Greypaw nodded and purred so loud, it could cause an earthquake.

"Race you to the log!" Greypaw meowed, dashing off. "No fair!" I yowled at him, pelting after his fluffy grey tail. The rocks stabbed at my pads but I didn't care. My heart raced as fast as a rabbit could flee, the adrenaline pumping through my blood. I closed my eyes as I tore up the small hill up to the Gathering Place and without knowing it, I hit the log and flew onto StreamClans side.

Just as Greypaw halted at the log, Skystorm and Coldwish padded calmly up the Gathering Places' path. I scampered to my paws.

Just as I put my paws on the log to hop over, I watched a huge black bird fly across the clear blue sky. I watched it go with my head tilted to the side. It went down toward the ground the farther it went past our camp.

I looked away to find my paws just as an ear-ringing, spine-tingling gust of wind smashed into the patrol, blowing us all off of our feet. Just as sand hit my eyes, I seen Coldwish leap at Greypaw. He landed on the apprentice and held onto the ground with a death grip.

I held onto the log while the wind blew it back. Something tumbled into the log and I realized it was my mentor as her body flew to the edge. "Jaggedpaw! Jaggedpaw, help me!" She screeched. My heart pounded and my head throbbed as the hot wind blew sand and a rancid air into my lungs.

I tried to stand to go toward Skystorm, but rocks and sand shoved me onto the ground. "Help me! Someone help me!" Skystorm screamed as loudly as she could, but as hard as I tried, I couldn't get to her.

With an ear-splitting screech, my sweet mentors' paws disappeared with a trail of claw marks, the only thing to prove she was once there.

I looked up to see the remnants of a mushroom-looking deadly grey cloud. The wind stopped suddenly and - with shaky legs and a grief-stricken mewl - I padded up to the edge. Skystorm's pale ginger pelt was no where to be found. The water that must've consumed her was all waves, hitting StreamClan's camp.
***
I sat by the river at the edge of our camp alone as the stars shone in the dark blue sky. I looked up to the clear sky and searched for a new star, one that would mean Skystorm was okay now. "I hope SoulClan is treating you well." I whispered. All joy from my sarcastic voice was gone.

"Are you alright? You know it's not your fault, right?" Birchpaw mewed, sitting down beside me. I looked to my paws and sighed. "I should've tried harder to help her."

"That wind blew everything and everyone to the ground. It would've been impossible, Jaggedpaw. It wasn't your fault." My sister whispered. I looked over at her, my eyes glazed with grief.

"Take a drink of water and go see Cindersong. I'm sure she'll give you something to help you sleep," Birchpaw murmured, nudging me softly. She took a few laps at the water as I did the same before hurrying off to the apprentices den.
***
I woke up to a horrible belly cramp. Did those poppy seeds do something to my belly? I wondered, staggering out of the den. I heaved up earlier that days' meal. Specks of blood were in it. I groaned in pain as I started to dry heave. Only saliva came out as I had thrown up everything I had eaten.

Birchpaw pelted out of the den and into the dirtplace tunnel. I could hear her throwing up as well. It was something in the water... I realized as the pain grew more and more until it was so much that I passed out cold.