CHAPTER EIGHT - January 2173 - Tranchilite / Varso

CHAPTER EIGHT 

January 2173 

Tranchilite / Varso

...Tranchilite...

"He's been gone for one and a half weeks Zermiten. We were made to look foolish. We were unprepared for a possible prisoner break," Emperor Putilnorphille was pacing his chambers with extreme agitation. 

His brother (General Zemorphoride) sat quietly waiting for the emperor to finish. The name Putilnorphille is a royal name reserved for each successive emperor. When a Tranchillion takes the vows of the emperor, he or she gives up their surname and takes the royal name. Zemer had taken over from his father making his term the second generation of Zemorphorides' to rule Tranchilite. Three generations was the limit for any family. After that the people elected a new family for the royal role. 

The Zemorphorides' had been particularly successful in their endeavours. Zemer's father (Zepith) had saved their planet from pollution making it a tranquil planet to live on. All species of alien enjoyed their visits to Tranchilite and some were even inspired to emulate Zepith's example. 

"I think we should form some sort of team dedicated to bringing him in Zemer," said Zermiten. 

The emperor stopped pacing and looked at his brother, "I've been thinking the very same thing - do you have any ideas on who we should select?" 

"Only from the men under my command. There are probably others." 

"Okay Zermiten. You put together a team. We need to stop Dowdneer and soon." 

"Lieutenant Colonel Twochelope would be ideal to command the unit. He may have disobeyed orders on Anthera but, I believe, that was a one off." 

"I'll go along with that. Are there any other candidates?" 

"Well, before he flew off, the human - Neil Bolgon - would have been a superb choice." 

"I don't know about that brother - can he really be trusted to bring Dowdneer in. After all - he is just a human - they are a lot weaker than us." 

"I've seen him in action Zemer," said the General shaking his head. "He commands respect easily. And his courage - his courage is without equal. Our soldiers would gladly follow him into battle and die for him if necessary. You can't train someone to that level of ability unless they are a natural leader. He is naturally gifted." 

"Well - he's not here anyhow - so it hardly matters. Speaking of him; how did he slip away from us?" 

"Our engine had been sabotaged..." Zermiten was interrupted. 

"Can we trust him if he would sabotage our vehicles?" the emperor's eyes betrayed a moment of anger and doubt. 

"Oh - I'm sure we can trust him brother. The damage was superficial. It only held us up long enough for them to get away. There was never any danger to our crew. I really don't know how he managed it." 

"He must have got a Tranchillion to help him. One of our engineers must have done it." 

"That just goes to prove my point. He easily commands respect and loyalty. It is a great pity that he isn't Tranchillion." 

"Right - enough about humans. Get on with your recruitment. The sooner Dowdneer is found and brought to justice the better." 

                                                                              * * *