CHAPTER SIX - January 2173 - Varso

CHAPTER SIX 

January 2173 

Varso

They were approaching Varso. It appeared to be red, although the surface looked like it was in constant motion. It seemed to swirl and move in random directions. 

"What are we seeing here Rebecca?" asked Neil. 

Rebecca's eyes were closed. She was communicating with the Varsoomians and after a few seconds had passed she said, "What you're seeing is the upper-atmosphere. The entire planet is covered by a dense cloud-like cover. It is these clouds that help to magnify their abilities, allowing them to see, speak and control all aliens in our galaxy." Rebecca had not opened her eyes while she talked to him. 

"Are you still talking to them?" 

"It's called multi-tasking. Every woman can do it. Some men seem to think they can." 

"What do you mean - think!" 

"Shhh," Rebecca quieted him. "Let me concentrate." 

"We are about to enter the clouds. Is that going to be alright?" 

"Just follow my instructions Neil," that ended the short conversation. 

Several minutes later they plunged into the cloud layer and Neil was flying blind. He noticed several red lights all around them. They seemed to be moving of their own free will. 

"There's something out there. They're moving about," said Neil. 

"That's the Varsoomians first set of defences against anyone who makes it this far. It's never been needed before," Rebecca sounded far away although she was sat only two feet from him. 

"Really - how does that work?" 

"If anything electrical tries to get through without permission these sentries fry all the electrical systems and the ship becomes a floating piece of space junk." 

"Great. We do have permission I take it." 

"Neil - please be quiet." 

He navigated through the clouds following Rebecca's instructions and eventually burst through into a clear red-tinged sky. Neil couldn't see any signs of life below. He couldn't see any of Earth's greens, browns or blues. 

"It looks like Mars," he said. Neil pressed a few buttons and brought up Varso's gaseous contents. "At least it's breathable. We won't need our suits and helmets." 

Rebecca was still ignoring him. She pointed to the east, "Head over there. The Watchers are going to switch on a navigation light." 

Neil turned the transport shuttle in the direction indicated and watched out for the light. Neil saw its sudden brilliance from far below them and adjusted his approach. 

"Neil - switch on the autopilot and they'll bring us in," said Rebecca. Neil did as he was told and let go of the controls. He wasn't happy about using the autopilot - he preferred to remain in control but he realised he had no other choice. This whole planet was far from what he called normal. 

"That wasn't their last line of defence - there are mines everywhere - look," said Neil. 

Rebecca's eyes refocused and she looked at the dangerous devices, "Don't worry. Their approach corridor is purposely difficult to navigate. That's why they took control."