Chapter 10

They lay comfortably in bed, their legs intertwined. Meredith rested her head on his chest, the front of her body pressed to his side. She played with the hair on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. Derek had his left arm wrapped around Meredith's shoulder and his right hand resting on her hip. Their bodies were still humming from making love, and they were both tired, but didn't want to waste a moment with each other to sleep. Derek felt her shiver slightly. He pulled her closer, and then pulled the thin sheet all the way up her body, covering her.

The silence was comfortable. They enjoyed the few moments they had after sex, where they could just lay against one another, their bodies still covered in a fine sheen of sweat. His fingers barely grazed her skin, making every inch of her hum. Meredith cuddled up closer, feeling completely safe.

"What's your best childhood memory?" She whispered.

Derek chuckled softly. "What?"

Meredith positioned herself so she could look up at him. "You heard me." She giggled. "What's your best childhood memory?"

"Why do you want to know?" He whispered, pushing her hair back off of her shoulder, exposing more of her luscious skin. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her warm flesh.

"Just humor me." She smiled, capturing his lips.

Derek settled back against the pillows and smiled. "I went to the Statue of Liberty with my parents." A smile graced his face, one she had yet to see. "I was seven, maybe eight. I always wanted to go there, and they surprised me with the trip. We lived in New York and I had seen the statue a million times, but standing below the Statue of Liberty, I don't know it was just... I don't know." He smiled. "I just remember that day really well."

"That's nice."

"Hmm, what's nice?" He whispered into her hair.

"Spending time with your parents - doing things with them; it's nice."

"You didn't have that?" He asked.

Meredith turned to look at him. "Not talking about our pasts, remember?"

Derek chucked. "I do remember that rule, but you are the one that brought up 'your best childhood memory' question."

"Hmm...true." She giggled.

"Well what's yours?"

"My what?"

"What is your best childhood memory?"

Meredith thought for a long time and then smiled. "I went to the park once with my best friend and her mom. It was so much fun. We had ice cream and went on the swings."

"Your best childhood memory was the park?"

"Is that bad?" she asked.

Derek smiled warmly. "I just wish your best childhood memory was something amazing, not just a day at the park with someone else's family."

"I'm okay with it." She smiled, looking up at him.

"Well I'm not okay with it, but there isn't anything I can do about it."

Meredith turned, almost rolling her entire body on top of him. Derek smiled up at her, as her body stretched over him. He pushed her hair back behind her ears, clearing her lovely face. Meredith leaned down and pressed her lips to his, enjoying the taste of his warm lips. She moved her hands down his chest and along his sides.

"You're trying to distract me Miss Grey." He said breathlessly.

She giggled, kissing his jaw line. "And why would you say that Mr. Shepherd?"