3: INEJ

Inej was sitting by her window yet again, twirling the knife in her hand as she stared down the streets of The Barrel. The sun was beginning to rise, but she still couldn't get herself to sleep. A part of her was excited to see her parents again, but a part of her was afraid. Afraid that something could go horribly wrong and she would have to lose them all over again.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps outside her door. She swiftly got up from the window, knife in hand. Maybe it was Pekka Rollins coming to seek revenge or maybe somebody else entirely. The list of people who want her dead was endless.

She opened the door in a jarring motion—ready to attack whoever was on the other side, but all she saw were a bouquet of flowers by her feet and the figure of a man with a cane retreating down the stairs.

She tried to chase the man down the stairs, but he was gone within seconds.

Her legs were aching in protest as she climbed back up the stairs. As she made her way down the hall, she noticed the bundle of flowers that laid on the floor. Tentatively, she picked up the flowers. As she did, she noticed something dark flutter from the bouquet. She bent down, picked it up, and held it against a nearby lamp.

It was a black feather. A crow's feather. Kaz.

She then inspected the flowers in the light.
Violets.

Inej felt her heart sink as she recalled her father's words all those years ago, "Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."