Part 10

© Joanna Bock 2012 All Rights Reserved.

First Draft

CHAPTER 12

Sarah

SARAH woke staring into Lucas’s eyes. She was wrapped in his arms, just as he had promised she would be.

“Hi” She whispered to him. She could hear Josh snoring softly at their feet. She didn’t want to wake him, losing the private moment they shared.

“Hey you, I missed you.” Lucas replied smiling.

She smiled back, soaking up the silent connection they shared. Happy to feel his arms around her.

“I don’t think I have ever seen you smile like that before. Truly happy, and that saddens me.”

“What, why?”

“Sarah I see sparkle in your eyes; you look truly happy. I wish it hadn’t taken this long to see that.”

“I was happy yesterday when you told me you loved me.”

“I know, but it was marred by anger and confusion.”

“I guess it was.” She realised.

“Yet even now while your lips do not smile your eyes smile bright.”

Sarah was speechless he read her so well, had he always done this every time he had watched her in the manor, in the garden. He pulled her closer tucking her head against his chest. Sarah listened to his heart beating there in time with her own.

“I want to show you something. Take you to a place.” His voice rumbled against her ear.

“Lucas for you__ with you, I would go and do anything.”

She felt his finger in her hair as he caressed her, kissing her gently on the crown of her head.

“Then get dressed.”

“In what I only have what I have on.”

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah He tsked, pulling her back so he could see her face. “Do you really believe one as powerful as Sucarrei would not be able to find clothes for an important, beautiful faerie girl like you.” He pointed across the room and Sarah followed his direction.

There hanging on the wall hung a dress so beautiful it took Sarah’s breath away. It was long and appeared to be made from a heavy woven silk and moss she turned back to Lucas.

“But why__ and how.”

Lucas chuckled softly stoking absently though her hair. “Sarah have you seen the state of you? I am sure I am not the only one to ask why not.” He got up and pulled Sarah to her feet walking her to a mirrored section of the wall. She studied the image in the mirror, hardly recognizing the girl in front of her. Her Tee shirt and jeans were torn and smothered with dirt; she spied the ruined hoodie on the floor and winced at the amount of the wood she had brought though the gazebo portal with her.

“I look really bad.” She told Lucas looking at his reflection in the mirror.

“The clothes mean nothing Sarah. It is the array of bruises, cuts and grazes that annoy me.” He traced a long cut down her arm. His voice sounded concerned and frustrated as he spoke.