Part 6

© Joanna Bock 2012 All Rights Reserved.

First Draft

CHAPTER 8

Josh

SARAH sat at the breakfast table, the cereal in the bowl in front of her was untouched, as long as you considered untouched by the amount actually eaten; She pushed the spoon around the bowl, dunking peaches and strawberries into the cream between the puffed wheat squares that wilted around the bowl.

Josh sat quietly across the table watching her from the corner of his eye, he was curious what was wrong but he didn’t have the courage to ask, she looked like he would tear his head off if he had.

Sarah dropped her spoon into the bowl, the cream slashed over the table top before she got up and walked across the kitchen stopping at the door to the garden, she turned around her expression was as hard as stone, it drilled into him and Josh shuddered involuntary.

“You should be scared; I mean what do you even want from me.” She blurted out

“I__ I didn’t even say anything.” Josh answered.                 

He was a little mythed by her outburst, but he suspected it was something about either Lucas, or Madison attacking her. Sarah let out the breath she had been holding as she looked around the room. Josh knew she was taking in the white walls the high ceilings with their designer angles, and the black marble bench tops the designer cabinet’s heck even the door handles screamed money.

Sarah lowered her head and Josh felt pity for her; she had had a home with a mother that loved her, spent time with her, now what did she have, us she has us he justified in his mind, but he knew it really wasn’t enough. She looked up staring at him again.

“This isn’t a home Josh it’s a live in show-home, a dam artist’s impression,” She said her voice almost a harsh whisper. Josh could hear the pain that laced her words.

“I know.” Josh replied quietly reflecting her sadness back at her.

“I hate it here Josh, between the ice queen herself, who by the way I now wish I had listened to you and stayed clear of, and those little brats we call siblings, I’m in a living hell here I want to go home, I wish Hannah was here, I wish mum was still alive and___” she stopped talking and Josh couldn’t help but wince he knew it was all too saw still. He watched as she sucked in a sharp shaking breath, he watched as the tear rolled down her cheek, he didn’t have a clue what to say, he really wasn’t prepared for any of this, this was the thing Lucas handled well__ not him.

“And you.” Sarah cried breaking the silence that stretched out between them “You watch me, like now, but you don’t talk any more, you don’t say a dam thing and it. It sucks. If you__ you it’s gross Josh I thought you looked at me like a sister.”

What the heck is she talking about why do girls speck in strange languages that guys are supposed to__ “What the hell are you talking about because__ oh hell no Sarah. I. do. Not like you like that.”

He burst out laughing “You are my bloody sister.”

“Technically I’m not” She grumbled and it was obvious that she found nothing humorous about the situation.