Chapter 3: star-spangled banner

"And, uh, who are you?"

"Director Fury, of S.H.I.E.L.D. Good job with the train, and breaking every known speed record along the way," He offered his hand, and I shook it.

"Nice to meet you, Fury. How can I help you?"

"Everything was normal last week, but this morning, someone, not from round here, broke into the S.H.I.E.L.D facility in New York in an attempt to steal the tesseract," He explained, and I looked at him confused. 

"He has since brainwashed two of the sharpest people I know, and turned them into his personal flying monkeys. We at S.H.I.E.L.D, believe that you could be of help to us. Are you in?"

"You need me? Why me?" I asked.

"You can run at 100 mph,"

"120 is my fastest, but I'm 16, I can't go galavanting about New York. I'll get deported,"

"The Avengers Initiative is an idea to bring together a group of remarkable people, in hopes that they can become something more. Become Earth's mightiest heroes," He said, trying to entice me

"Who've you got so far?" I asked.

"Agent Barton, codename Hawkeye, Agent Romanoff, codename Black Widow, Steve Rogers,"

"Captain America?" Fury nodded at me.

"Agent (L/N), codename Echo," I smiled at him, and he slightly smiled back at me.

"Your codename needs some work,"

"What, why? I like it," He looked at me funnily, and started walking away.

"Good to have you onboard. Follow me," I followed him to an empty field, where a jet was parked. We got in it, and flew (very fast) to America.

***

We were halfway across the North Atlantic Ocean when I decided to ask a few questions.

"So, where's base of operations?"

"The helicarrier,"

"Okay, what the hell is a helicarrier?"

"Our base of operations,"

"Touché,"

After a while, we landed on an aircraft carrier. We got out and walked across it.

"This is the Helicarrier," He pointed towards the middle of it "Over there is Agent Romanoff, go and introduce yourself," I walked over to a red headed woman, who was with two other men. As I approached her, the taller man turned around, prompting the redhead to turn around.

"You must be Agent Romanoff. I'm (Y/N)," I offered my hand, and she shook it slowly.

"You're British? Coulson said there'd be a kid coming. Natasha Romanoff," The taller man shook my hand.

"Steve Rogers," I smiled at him.

"Oh, I know who you are, Cap," He smiled back at me. 

"And who might you be?" I asked the shorter man, who seemed very anxious.

"Oh, me? Dr Bruce Banner," He didn't shake my hand. I noticed a lot of workers rushing around. This amazed me. I was a superhero. Life will never be the same for me ever again. Natasha cleared her throat.

"Gentlemen, you might wanna step inside in a minute," We all turned to face her. "It's gonna get a little hard to breathe," There were loud noises coming from all over the craft. Noises that sounded like engines being turned on.

"Is this a submarine?" Steve asked, and Bruce slightly chuckled to himself.

"Really? They want me in a submerged, pressurized metal container?" I looked at Natasha confused, and she pulled me aside.

"That's Bruce Banner. He tried replicating the super serum, but things went wrong. Now, whenever he gets angry, he turns into a big green thing," She explained.

"Cool... I guess. I mean, I can only run fast," I continued walking with Steve and Bruce. We were at the edge of the craft, and we were all looking over the edge. There was a large propeller slightly visible above the water.

"It's an aircraft?" I said, and the helicarrier started lifting up into the air.

"No, no, this is much worse," Bruce said. We followed Natasha down into the helicarrier, and a few corridors later, we were in the bridge. I walked around in awe of this technology. I saw Steve hand Fury a ten dollar bill, which for some reason, made me smile. Fury walked over to the table Bruce and I were sat at.

"Doctor, thank you for coming," Bruce and Fury shook hands.

"Thanks for asking nicely. So, uh, how long am I staying?"

"Once we get our hands on the tesseract, you're in the wind," I zoned out, taking all of this in. I snapped back to reality when Bruce mentioned something called 'spectrometers'

"Call every lab you know, tell them to put the spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for gamma rays. I'll rough out a tracking algorithm, basic cluster recognition. Do you have somewhere for me to work?" Bruce explained. Natasha led him to the lab. I walked over to Steve.

"I didn't tell my mum. I just came on this adventure without letting my mum know. I'm an awful son," I said to myself. Steve laughed at me.

"So, why did Fury bring you in? He asked.

"I can run at 120 mph, and less than 5 hours ago, I saved about 100 people from being crushed by a train. Then, I disposed of a bomb from the train, that would've killed another 200 people," I explained, and Steve looked at me, impressed.

"And how old are you?"

"16"

soooooo did you get the title? star-spangled banner? cap is the star-spangled man with a plan, and bruce banner. so add them together and you get? bruce man? no. Star-spangled banner!!

(im a loser)