14

p o p p y

I was up bright and early.

Actually, it was ten thirty in the morning.

That was early enough to me, considering I was up 'til three just talking to Blake. I had to keep my laughing quiet because I was scared I was going to wake everyone up.

My father left earlier in the morning to go to Colorado for a case he was working on. Mom said she was going to have brunch with her friends and shop after she dropped Kayley off somewhere to hang out with her friends.

Even though she was old enough, my sister still didn't drive, partly because she didn't have a car to use, but mostly because she was clearly not ready to.

She almost ran over a squirrel when my mom was trying to teach her, and since then, she never really wanted to drive.

On any other day, I would've just lounged around on the couch and watched some Netflix while snacking on some Hot Cheetos, but I had to remind myself that I had something to do.

There was a twenty dollar bill left for me on the kitchen counter after I came back downstairs from my shower. It was probably for lunch.

The house was empty, and the silence was really starting to bore me.

I decided it was probably a good time to have an early lunch before I headed off to get my dress from Levi's house.

There was a little diner just a few minutes down the road that had really good cheeseburgers.

My legs were absolutely furious with me for choosing to go on the ten minute walk there instead of driving for two minutes.

I figured I could use some exercise if I was going to have a burger, fries and a milkshake for lunch.

The neighborhood was quiet as it always was on a Sunday.

Besides, it was lunch time, the six year olds that ran around the yards I passed by were probably inside with their families, eating.

Eventually, the cute little diner was finally in my line of sight. There weren't many people in there either, but that wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

"Hi, can I get a seat?" I asked the lady standing up front with a smile.

"No problem, honey, just you?" she walked me over to a small booth. "This good?"

I nodded. "Thank you."

"Of course," she smiled. "When you're ready to order, just call for me, yeah?"

"Mhm," I hummed in agreement. "Thanks."

She was about to walk away before I called her again.

"Hi, actually, I know what I want," I announced. "Can I get a Cheeseburger with a side of fries and a strawberry milkshake, please?"

"Sure," she smiled at me. "Anything else?"

"If it's not much of a bother, can I get that burger without onions?"

"No problem, honey," she nodded. "I'll be back with your food."

I was busy trying to figure out a Calculus problem for Sabrina when the nice lady, Anne, came back with the food, setting it all down in front of me.

"If you need anything else, just call me, honey."

"Okay, thank you so much," I smiled at her, finally left alone with my food as she walked away.

Time to dig in.

Right after I send the answer to that Calculus problem to Sab.

"Didn't think you still went here," a voice interrupted me as I took a sip of my milkshake. "Good thing I wanted a milkshake today then, huh?"