Chapter 31: Killing the Father

"Hmph, childsplay."

        Lin Canglan's mockery broke the silence in the room. "The old man at your age never hesitated over anything. But time spares no one..." he said then coughed repeatedly. The candlelight flickered with his voice, and Ji Yunhe's eyebrows tightened. Something was up.

        Qing Shu's left hand suddenly moved and a small object struck Lin Haoqing's long sword.

        The sword vibrated hard and fell out of Lin Haoqing's hand. Lin Canglan's wheelchair took this opportunity and quickly rolled out from within his reach.

        Qing Shu's shadow on the curtain flashed like lightning.

        Ji Yunhe had no time to think. She forcefully suppressed her pain, dashed through the curtain, and the sword in her hand met with Qing Shu's with a loud clang.

        The energy from the contact burst out in a circular arc and swept through the surrounding walls and beams still under repair. The house gave out a series of creaking sounds as the entire structure seemed to tilt. Roof tiles outside began falling to the ground like rain.

        Ji Yunhe stood in front of Lin Haoqing, shielding him while staring at the demon fox slave. 

        "The choice you made is very disappointing."

        At this time, Ji Yunhe's body was enduring both Qing Shu's demonic power and the pain from the poison, but deep down, she felt great.

        "Yeah?" Ji Yunhe smirked. "I don't think it's so bad."

        Before Qing Shu could make another move, they heard a muffled moan. It came from Lin Canglan.

        Qing Shu's eyes, which had never shown any emotion before, widened as she looked to the side with shock.

        Ji Yunhe pushed against the sword and forced her off.

        Qing Shu retreated three steps, but her eyes remained on the side and did not attack again.

        Ji Yunhe followed her gaze.

        Lin Haoqing was now standing next to Lin Canglan, holding his sword with the blade inside Lin Canglan's chest.

        The wheelchair-bound Lin Canglan, old and frail, did not have the strength to defend.

        Lin Haoqing was right.

        After the battle with the jade phoenix, Lin Canglan's body had become useless.

        He looked at his son with a face full of gloom. "Good... good…" he spoke while blood gushed out of his mouth. His voice was so muffled that it was almost inaudible. "You have the heart to kill your old man, you..."

        Lin Haoqing did not care to hear another word. He pulled the sword out of Lin Canglan's chest, walked behind his wheelchair, grabbed him by the hair, and sliced his throat.

        Blood sprayed out and rained onto the floor, the sound blending seamlessly with the downfall of rubble outside.

        Ji Yunhe did not expect... Lin Haoqing to be so decisive, nor did she expect him to be so efficient.

        He really killed Lin Canglan.

        His own father.

        The shock almost made Ji Yunhe forget about the pain in her body. And amidst all the blood, Lin Haoqing seemed as if he just realized what he had done.