Chapter 52: Test Subject

Princess Shunde was not kidding when she asked to be involved with the medical experiments.

        And the imperial palace certainly had no lack of methods. Ji Yunhe went through them all within a month. 

        She began to wonder why God had allowed her to live.

        Was it to help push the limits of human imagination in torture?

        When Ji Yunhe's arm was bound to the wall and cut for the thousandth time, her wound finally healed slower and her black blood dripped down. The black demonic gas still surrounded her, but they were no longer as vibrant as they used to be. Forget about forming into nine tails, at the moment they were faint and could hardly even stay afloat. 

        But Ji Yunhe was still alive.

        She watched apathetically as the parasites sucked the blood from her arm then drilled into her flesh.

        Compared to what she had went through, this was nothing.

        The parasites were soon poisoned by her blood and died.

        Princess Shunde stood outside the cell and shook her head. "Even the royal annelid cannot suppress you, it seems that no worm in this world can harm you. Tell them to stop sending these things, they are useless. Let her try the strange poison found overseas. If there is any reaction, note it down."

        Princess Shunde seemed to be lacking interest today. She ordered Ji Chengyu then turned and left.

        Ji Chengyu stayed quiet until the princess was gone, then he looked at Ji Yunhe with a bit of tremble in his eyes. "Miss Ji..."

        Like always, Ji Yunhe only slightly opened her eyes and asked him, "Jiaoren..." She could only say one word.

        No need for her to say more, Ji Chengyu knew what she wanted to ask. Because she asked it everyday. No matter how cruel the torture, how much she suffered, she always asked this same question.

        "The jiaoren has not yet been caught..." Ji Chengyu replied and her eyes closed again. Aside from this, she did not care about anything else in the world. And today, Ji Chengyu had more to tell her. "But..."

        Ji Yunhe's gaze once again landed on him.

        Ji Chengyu paused for a moment, then said, "There's news from the north. Someone saw the monk, Kongming, and a man with silver hair and blue eyes in the Northlands. That man... the description of his appearance and body shape seems to be the jiaoren wanted by the court."

        "Kongming... silver hair and blue eyes..." Ji Yunhe weakly murmured. "The Northlands... why?"

        The bitter cold lands of the north were far inland, over ten thousand miles from the sea.

        Why would Changyi be there?

        She had pushed him off of the cliff and into the river below because she thought every river would eventually lead to the sea. Even if he could not swim by himself, the river current would give him a ride. But why would someone see Changyi in the Northlands? And with the monk, Kongming?

        What happened to Changyi during this month?

        Why did he not return to the sea?

        What was he... thinking? And what did he want to do?

        Ji Yunhe had countless questions. She took a couple of breaths and weakly asked, "How much of the news... is certain?"