Chapter 39: Plan

When Ji Yunhe arrived at Lin Haoqing's residence, a circle of elders was gathered outside.

        Their faces were sullen as they looked into the room, and a chain of questions sounded from inside.

        "Why did you disregard our request and burn the Valley Master's body in private?"

        "Is the young valley master trying to conceal something?"

        Ji Yunhe raised her eyebrows. So these elders sent one group to convince her to become the Valley Master, while another group came here to find Lin Haoqing...? 

        She pushed through the crowd and walked inside. The interrogation stopped when they saw her.

        Lin Haoqing turned his head to look at Ji Yunhe. He did not look good under the pressure from the elders. His hand was holding a pen with its tip resting motionlessly on the paper, making a huge ink stain.

        The way he looked at Ji Yunhe was as if he was saying -- so, you've also come to accuse me?

        Ji Yunhe looked back at him and clasped her hands into a bow, "Valley Master."

        Lin Haoqing was taken by surprise.

        All the people around were taken by surprise.

        Ji Yunhe greeted him as "Valley Master", not "young valley master".

        She had clearly stated her attitude in front of everyone that she wanted to submit to Lin Haoqing.

        Some elders immediately voiced out, "The inauguration ceremony of the Valley Master has not yet been completed, it is not appropriate to address him as such!"

        "Then what is appropriate?" Ji Yunhe turned her head and stared straight at the elder who had asked the question. "Would it be appropriate to address you as the Valley Master?" The elder's face changed slightly, Ji Yunhe then smiled and said, "When the Valley Master was seriously ill during Princess Shunde's visit, the young valley master led us on his behalf and handled everything accordingly. Now with the Valley Master passing away, his son should rightfully ascend to his father's position. What is wrong with me calling him the Valley Master?"

        "But..." The elder had no words to say, so another one opened his mouth. "We do not yet know the truth of the Valley Master's strange and sudden death, how can we hastily establish a new master?"

        "Not knowing the truth yet is precisely why we must hurry and appoint a new master to investigate the matter thoroughly. With the Valley Master's sudden death, don't you think his own son feels it the most? Who else wants to know the truth more than him? You are purposely hindering him here, is it because you have other plans?"

        The elders paused to look at each other, but no one knew what to say.

        With Ji Yunhe acting out in such a manner, they were at a loss for words. After a moment of silence, they all brushed their sleeves and left.

        Shortly after, only Ji Yunhe and Lin Haoqing were left in the room.

        She closed the door, moved a stool over, and sat down opposite of him at his desk, smiling. "This tongue has been trained well over the years. It can be of some use, yes?"

        Lin Haoqing looked at her. Her face right now reminded him of the young girl laughing in the middle of the sea of flowers.

        She would be wearing the flower garland that he gave her and ask, "Brother Haoqing, do I look good?"