Chapter 87: Test

The three of them escaped from the inn without daring to look back. Aji and Ji Ning ended up staying at an abandoned temple in the northern part of the city.

        The Northlands was now very different from when the jiaoren first came. It had developed into a widespread area of civilization with the Demon Terrace sitting in the middle like a royal palace.

        The snake demon had been here the longest, so he naturally had a home to return to. Lu Jinyan also had plenty of demon master pals that were happy to accommodate him. Out of the four, Aji and Ji Ning were the only ones completely on their own.

        They were afraid of going with the snake demon since it would make them easier for the jiaoren to find. They also could not go back with Lu Jinyan, since those demon masters were still very prejudiced against demons and disciples of the Grand Master's house. Their only option was the rundown temple.

        Lu Jinyan brought them breakfast the next morning. Aji said while she ate, "We still have to go south as soon as possible. I don't understand this jiaoren." She analyzed, "If we don't leave now, we may never be able to."

        Aji did not know how the jiaoren felt about her past self, but he was obviously very dominating. If he were to see even the slightest connection between her and the one he used to know, he would definitely not let her go.

        Maybe even imprison her for life...

        She had not yet seen enough of this world and did not want to be imprisoned in this bitter cold land forever, doing nothing but stare at his face.

        Although that face was also quite beautiful. Or rather, the most beautiful she had ever seen.

        "You have to go," Lu Jinyan agreed. "But I have to stay in the north. Even though the jiaoren's not what I expected, my friends are all here, so I can't leave."

        "Well, okay, then this is goodbye. Ji Ning and I will leave right away." Aji then asked Ji Ning, "What are your plans after leaving the north?"

        "Me?" Ji Ning thought for a bit then lowered his head and whispered, "I have to go back to the Grand Master's house, my master is still there..." His voice grew softer and softer as he spoke. He was afraid Aji would look down on him for this decision...

        But Aji only nodded and responded casually, "Okay. On the way south, I'll take you to the post closest to the capital."

        They finished their food and said goodbye to Lu Jinyan, then headed for the city gate.

        Aji soon noticed they were being followed by two people in black. She turned around, and there they were. She turned around again two steps later, and there they were, also having taken two steps. They were tailing her openly and did not attempt to hide it in any way.

        It made sense. This was the jiaoren's territory after all, he could do whatever he wanted. If he wanted to send two people to follow them, who would object?

        Aji felt stressed, but she still hoped for the best and headed for the gate. As expected, as soon as they reached the gate, the two people stepped forward and blocked their way.

        "You are not allowed to exit the Northlands right now."

        Ji Ning was a little flustered. "But... but the jiaoren... No, I mean... your venerable lord said we could leave."

        Aji interrupted, "He spared our lives, he never said we could leave."