III. The Mind Reader

Reverie was drinking her favourite dry wine when orchestra's music changed from fast to slow and inversely.

She was in a bright ballroom. Tables were full of food, drinks and sweets, and green tablecloth on them. Floor was shiny and polished so much that  it looked more like a mirror. Silver patterns of green curtains reflected light of long, dangling chanderiels.

Party for Kenneth started two hours ago or something like that. She didn't remember well cause of wine, that she drank every moment, not to be fully conected with world.

"What kind of magic he'll have?" She thouht.

Besides that every single of her and her siblings had a bit of magic from their mother and father, their own huge resources were different.

Her twin- Alastair had control of wyrdmarks. Basically he was a Wyrdmarks creator. He could draw them, open gates, and create new symbols by conecting the alredy existing yet. Although at that last he wasn't quite good yet. She almost snorted at memory of his last trials. He definetly needed to try on something smaller.

Alastair was always setting the bar high. Sometimes too high. Not like Eve didn't do that.

Their mom said that his power could control everything, but there was big main obstacle to do that. The wyrdmarks required focus, accuracy and great visual memory. During battles you don't usually have time for that so Alastair stuck to the simplest but most effective spells.

She turned to see her twin brother at the table, obviously drinking with Gavriel, Ryker and Fenrys.

Eve had a magic of... what it even was? She could move things, not touching them, use energy that could both destroy and create. It wasn't raw magic, though she revealed after contact with Dorian. It couldn't wield the elements of nature or allow to change form in whatever she want. Yet, not that was her worry. Reverie could read minds.

If someone didn't have some sort of... maybe shield around their mind she heard most of their thoughts. She could not control that, and was trying to learn it. With her dad, mom, siblings, rest of her family or even alone by finding books and reading about it. And she fails.

Eve had basic contol over that abillity, that means how to not do that, yet at the big gatherings strangers' thoughts were floating around so much that she wasn't able to do much with it. It could be a useful tool if only she could focus her magic on one person but she couldn't and because of that of it she wasn't long on events like that now. So she always didn't stay long at parties like this and used wine to sightly soothe her condition. Her parents even urged her to leave early. That she wouldn't suffer.

But Eve wanted to spend time with her beloved family. The royals of Erilea were the only people she regurally talked to. Firstly for that was that they were the only ones that weren't scared of her and secondly most of the time their mind shields were up, unlike other people.

She returned with thoughts to magic in her family. So there was Snazan. Snazan was...

Wait. Snazan. Reverie tried to find her younger sister in crowd. Aaaand after few seconds she knew, that there is no Snazan in sight. She for sure was there about half a hour ago. If she was somewhere around Eve would know that. Not only she, but everyone in near space.

Last few days Snazan was very good at hiding. Eve suspected that she's working on something, because of her scientific interest.

Reverie got up from her seat, flipping blonde, not exactly golden like her mother but brighter, locks behind her arm and correctting her long, silver-blue gown. She psyhycaly preapared herself to dive in dancing and playing crowd. And then she felt a hand on her arm. "You're going to look after Saz?" Princess turned to her father, who, just as she, saw Snazan is gone.

"Yes." she responded "Snazan generaly likes parties. I guess this time something is bothering her. I'll try to talk."

"Something is bothering her since few days." Rowan's eyes flashed a bit. Not only with worry. He knows something. She ignored it. Eve wanted to talk to Saz personally.

"I know, dad, that's also why i want to find her." Rowan hesisted for second, but nodded. She haven't seen him like that since war in the west. That only deepened urge to talk to Saz.

Then Rowan's eyes drifted to the road she would have to go to the main doors. "I know you're trying to learn it in every opportunity, but-" Then to Eve's head influenced some idea, so she changed mind about way to leave.

"You know... I have an idea and I thing Snazan would love it aaand it include your proposition to leave." Eve give a look to her dad. "I'll visit kitchen." She grinned at her worlds. Rowan, knowing what his daughter had on mind, grinned back.

"I'm probably not coming back, so goodnight." Princess didn't wait for his response. She was halft-turned from him, her dad take her arm again, so she turned her head.

"She have something to tell you and better don't put pressure on her." He sighed. "She's lost... more than ussually." She looked at him for few seconds, thinking thinking whether to say anything more. Eventually she just nodded and turned back.

She didn't come down from any platform, cause there wasn't any. Table of royal family was at the same height as all others.

There was much less people, than if Eve picked another way out. But still they were. And when she got close to them, it started.

All she was trying to think about was getting to exit. Her head was burning, it squeaked in her sensitive, fae ears. But the worst of all was thoughts of practically stranger people, witch came in waves.

"What time is it..."
"Where did I put..." "I'ts last drink..."

They all melted in one-pain.

She didn't notice that she was almost at the doors. World came back, only when she stepped out. To friendly silence.

It wasn't the worst.

She took a breath and cleaned her mind.

Time to find Snazan.

Reverie walked throught the stairs, which leaned to one of the highest rooftop in Orynth Castle, with box with chocolate cake under her arm

Reverie walked throught the stairs, which leaned to one of the highest rooftop in Orynth Castle, with box with chocolate cake under her arm. Obviously besides kitchen she visited her room and changed from her fancy dress to comfortable pants and grey blouse.

She fought migraine after painful walk on ballroom and thought about what her dad did tell her. It couldn't be anything easy if Snazan was that upset that she didn't come.

More important was that there were two places she could be at that time. And Eve was close to first of them.

Eve opened simple doors, outgoing to roof.

She saw her sister sitting on end of it.

Glaring at the stars. At The Stag.