7: Jake

There was a knock at my door. I didn't know if I should answer it or not, though, because I wasn't expecting company or packages. Who could possibly be here? There was a peephole in my door though, so I could look through that to see who it was. All I could make out was light, straightened hair. For me, that doesn't narrow it down at all. The person knocked once more. I took a deep breath and opened it, finding that it was someone I'd not seen for a long time. "Jordan? What're you doing here?"

"Hello to you too, Jake. I've got news to tell you," He explained. 

"I thought you were with Johnnie."

"I was, yesterday. When I tried to see him again, he made up some excuse as to not let me see him. That bastard..." He snapped his fingers.

"Don't say that. He's probably just having one of those days."

Jordan stood there and stared at me for a long moment. "Right, right. Am I allowed in at least?"

I stepped aside and waved my had. "As you wish."

"Johnnie's got a huge crush on you," He blurted as soon as I'd closed the door. 

I laughed. "You've been hanging out with way too many fangirls."

"It's true! He'll just never admit to it because....because he doesn't want to believe that it's true."

I raised an eyebrow as I thought for a moment. "You really expect me to believe that?"

Jordan sighed exasperatedly. "No, I guess I don't. But let's entertain the idea for a moment. What if he really did like you? What would you do? What would you say?"

I rolled my eyes, not answering the question. "If you came to pester me about romance, I'm not interested."

"I know that!" He collapsed onto my couch. "But I'm bored, and, like you, I wish Johnnie would be happy!"

"I think he'd probably be more happy if you didn't try to get involved." I sat next to him. "Just sayin'."

Jordan shook his head. "How am I supposed to move along a plot-line when characters aren't compliant?"

"What?" 

"Nothing, nothing," He waved his hand at me dismissively. One of his fingers was completely black. 

"What happened to your hand?"

"Johnnie's eyeshadow."

"You did his makeup?"

"No. I just used it."

"He let you?"

"No."

"It's no wonder why you got kicked out, then."

"I was not 'kicked out!' And even if I was, it wasn't because of that."

"Oh dear God," I ran my fingers through my hair. "What did you say to him?"

"I just...." He paused, as though choosing his words carefully. "I just encouraged the truth out of him. It didn't work though."

"There is no truth! Johnnie does not have a huge crush on me, you weirdo! And even if he did, which he doesn't, it doesn't matter to be because I don't feel that way!"

"You're being pretty defensive for a guy that doesn't care," He crossed his arms. 

"You're accusing me of-! GAH!" I threw my hands up in frustration. "This is ridiculous. You've overstayed your welcome." I pointed to the front door. 

"Alright, alright." Jordan raised his hands defensively. "I'm going, I'm going."

The following day, I felt a little badly for how I'd kicked out Jordan like that. Sure, he probably deserved it. He was kind of invading privacy there. Nonetheless, I went over to his place to see him. Besides, I was a little curious to know if what he'd said about Johnnie was true. 

"Jake?" He answered after I'd knocked on the door. "What's wrong? Why didn't you call first?"

"Is this a bad time?" He made it seem like I was really intruding.

"Yes...Kind of." He gestured inside, where a girl was sitting, drinking something from a mug. I assumed that she was his girlfriend. 

"O-oh. Sorry. I'll go."

"Who is it, sweetie?" The girl called. 

"Just a friend!" Jordan called back. He turned to me. "You can come back later. Goodbye." He closed the door in my face. What are the odds? 

I guess if I really wanted information, I could always go to the source of it though. Maybe I could talk to Johnnie about these allegations. 

If I tried to invite myself over, he'd make up an excuse to keep me away. To avoid this, I simply just walked up to Johnnie's front door and knocked on it. Inside, two puppies began to bark. Creature was the one to run to the door though. Johnnie came as well, trying to settle him down. He opened the door and saw me standing there. "What happened?" He asked. 

"Nothing, nothing." I bit my lip. "Well, actually something did happen. I've been talking to Jordan." 

He stepped aside and let me in. "I know. You told him about my injury." He closed the door. 

"I meant after that. He came to me after that." I swallowed while I proceeded to make a gesture with my hand suggesting that I was moving on. "But he told me something about you. I don't believe it, but I could be wrong."

"Did he tell you how I'm completely smitten with you?" Johnnie sighed. 

"W-w-what?!" I was taken aback. Was he really???

"No! It's not true! It's not true!" He insisted quickly. "He just thinks that it is. I didn't think that he'd nag you about it too. I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apologize for Jordan," I brushed his apology aside. "It's not your fault he tried to start a rumor."

Johnnie's eyes looked a little afraid. "It came from nowhere really."

"I know." I shook my head, a little confused. "I believe you. You do know that, right?"

He pointed to the door. "You should go," He said. Creature started to sniff my shoes. 

"But I just got here. You're gonna be all alone again."

"I want to be alone." He looked away from me. 

"But you said-"

"I know what I said! All I'm saying now is that I want you gone. Everyone's worrying for me too much. Just leave, please!"

I sighed. "Alright. Fine."