Chapter 1

When I walk into my high school cafeteria for breakfast, this is what I see. The "cool" / rude stuck up kids are sitting in the back by the big window. They are usually taking pictures for their Instagram, or talking about something (or someone).

Then in the middle is where I would find my place: The actual cool kids with decent grades overall and a normal school life. We are either finishing up homework or talking or just chilling and minding our business.

Then there is a row of tables that separate us from the dorks and nerds that sit right in the front of the cafeteria. I don't like to judge but I've tried getting along with them but we're all different, right? No disrespect to them though. They are ALWAYS at the top of the honor roll list.

And that's basically what my school consists of.

When Ariella and I walked in, Julian and Mario waved us over to their table promptly. We began the discussion of homecoming.

"Mario stop asking me. I don't know who I want to take. When I find out, you'll know.." Julian said, obviously irritated with Mario and his questions.

Mario had become a good friend of ours when he got me out of trouble in 6th grade. He's always taking the blame. He's so caring.

"Alright! Jeez man. Just asking... cause you've got less than two weeks to figure it out." Mario chuckled.

My cousin, Ariella, and Mario always had something special for each other, so they decided to go to homecoming as an official couple.

"True. Who do you want to ask you to homecoming Celest?" Ariella shot a question aimed at me. And that's just what it felt like: a bullet.

I had liked Julian for 3 out of the 7 years I've known him. But no one knew -except my dad of course- because I wasn't even sure of my own feelings. My dad always told me that the right man will find me and I should chase anyone. So I never pursued Julian as more than a friend. We're great as friends and I don't want to ruin that. And this is the time in my life where boy issues would only serve as a distraction.

"I don't really know. I don't really care either, I just want there to be food. What kind of food will be there?" I asked, trying to change the subject, unfortunately Julian caught that effort and chose to intercept.

"Don't try and hide it; You have to at least like someone... so who is it?" Julian questioned. He seemed really interested in who I liked and it bothered me a little.

"I don't like anyone.." I said rather unsure, while blushing. I'm sure they knew i was keeping something from them, but lucky for me they decided to sweep it under the rug.

Just then the bell rang. Thank God! That was just the thing I needed to snap me out of my inner daze. I can't be worried about boys, I have colleges to get accepted into! And a dance career to start! I thought to myself as I tried to convince myself that I didn't need any distractions in this part of my life. 'This is where the rest of my life is determined.' my brain tells me. Then my heart takes center stage to give the rebuttal. 'Exactly! So if you don't get him now, you'll never have him!' My heart screamed. 'That's not true Celest, a good man will find you." my brain soothed. And then my heart screamed again, disturbing the peace that had just been established. 'How is he going to find you if you're not even on his radar!' 

After all this inner bickering between my heart and my mind, I arrived at my locker. When I opened it there were five roses, all with mini cards attached to the stem. The first one read, 'L, is for the way you look at me.' and the next three roses finished the lyrics of the all too famous jazz song. The fifth rose read, 'Will you be my date to homecoming?' It had no name so I began to look around to see who it could be. Then I was face to face with Julian's chest. With a sudden sniff of his cologne, I was sent into a short daze. I looked up to see a rather nervous look on his face.

"So will you?" he asked. In all honesty I don't know who I was expecting, but I'm so glad it was him.

"All this is from you?" I asked just to make sure this was real. If it was only a dream, I needed to make sure no one woke me up. But it was a dream, it was a dream come true.

"Yeah, but i couldn't have done it without Ariella. She's the only one who knows your locker combination" He chuckled. I looked over his shoulder to see a very giddy Ariella. I shook my head and laughed.

"Yes Julian, I'll go to homecoming with you." I said before hugging him. The hug was warm and soft and secure. I could tell this was more than a friendly hug. And I was fine with that.

"Julian, I have to get my stuff." I said making him snap back into reality.

"Oh, right... I'll wait for you, we have the same classes anyway." He said as he seemed to be recollecting his thoughts. Soon after I grabbed my things from my locker we walked together, happily to class.