Chapter 9

"She's only over here so that she and my dad can discuss my grandma's living situation. My dad only tolerates her because they have the same mother. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't tolerate her at all." Mario explained.

"Do you ever hear them talk?" I asked him.

"Yeah. I think it was supposed to be a surprise but your dad is looking for a house for you, him and Meleny to live in. Together." He stated. I was overheated. I'm not sharing my dad with that evil omelette cooking woman.

"Okay no no no. I'm not letting that evil thing ruin my dad." I thought aloud. This could not go any further.

"I haven't told anyone this because I don't think anyone will believe me because I was just 5 when it happened... she hid my dad's wallet from him so that he would be distracted trying to find it. Then she let my brother play with a box of matches while my dad was busy. His whole bedroom was in flames before the fire alarm went off, but it was too late and my brother had burnt alive in his room. The fire department came and everything after that is a blur. My dad was destroyed, he thought it was his fault." Mario explained as a few tears fell from his eyes. That was the first time I had ever heard the full story of Antonio's death.

"She stole, she killed, she destroyed. I have to stop this." I said Just then Mr. Walls came in.

"It's getting late, and you guys have school tomorrow. Get to bed." He instructed. After about three and a half good hours of sleep I woke up to what sounded like arguing.

"You can't have her, Meleny.'' my mom said calmly but firmly."

"I can have whatever I want. You can't stop me!" Meleny's spirit spoke back. Her words sounded raspy and nasty.

"I won't let you take the spirits of these children! They are innocent and I won't let you take the spirits of my family. They are protected. You won't have them, Meleny." My mother shouted. I didn't think it was possible for angels to yell but she was proving me wrong on so many levels right now. Meleny then looked at me with an evil burning gaze.

"You may have ruined my plans for the moment, but you haven't stopped me. You'll never stop me." She said as she began to fade away. When it was all over, I woke up and sat straight up in my bed. I immediately regretted it because my head was throbbing. The presence of my mom left behind a comfort. But the presence of Meleny left behind a headache. How fitting.

Next to me on my pillow was a piece of paper and an index card. It read, "V is very very extra un-ordinary. I'm going to protect you."

The paper was a mostly checked off to-do list. It was everything Meleny had done, and everything she planned to do. She planned on taking our souls!? I have to keep this demon woman away from the ones I love and care about.

The next morning I woke up to the smell of pancakes. After we all got dressed and headed downstairs, we found out that Meleny made the pancakes. Mario usually doesn't eat breakfast, but the rest of us just collectively decided not to be hungry that morning.

When we all arrived at school we sat at our usual table.

"We have to do something about her. Something bad is going to happen if we don't." Julian said.

"Well I hope it doesn't happen today because I am fresh out of ideas." I said and Ariella nodded in agreement. When the bell rang, we headed to class. On my way, all I could do was pray. I think we all might have been praying. When we met up at the end of the school day, Julian was nowhere to be found.

"He asked to use the bathroom in the third period and never came back." Mario said, slightly worried. Then everything around me came to a slow stop, letting me know that I would be hearing from my mom within the next few seconds.

"Meleny has taken him! Hurry home please! Before she takes your father too!" My mother weeps as she fades away.

"Guys I have to get home." I said running towards the door. It was a 20 minute walk but a 10 minute run. I was 2 blocks away from my house when I bumped into Nicole. Of course she wanted to argue so that only slowed me down. When I got home I couldn't find my father. It was too late.

"Light out for you too little girl." I heard.

And soon, that they were.