20 | Sunshine and Cookies

The sun shone through my window, the brightness seeping through my eyelids. I groaned and rolled over, covering my face with a pillow.

My body still ached and my head still pounded. I was supposed to go to school today, but I already knew that wasn't going to happen.

I sat up and looked around the room. Tobio was nowhere to be seen, but the math papers were stacked neatly on the desk. I smiled and walked over to them. The handwriting on the papers was a lot neater than Tobio's, it looked oddly, a lot like mine.

I left my room, walking swiftly throughout the house. I walked down the stairs, I couldn't find him anywhere.

I hope he didn't leave.

Maybe he went to school or something.

I checked all the rooms downstairs, no Tobio.

I sighed and opened the door. It was pretty warm outside, that means my birthday is coming up-

"What are you doing?" A low voice asked from behind me.

I jumped and snapped my head towards the voice, relief washing over me when I saw Tobios sleepy head on the couch. He was covered in a blanket the same color as the couch and his hair was messily set on his head.

"What are you doing?" I asked sarcastically, "Why aren't you at school?"

He laid back down, "I'm not going today." His muffled voice said.

"What, why? You're gonna get behind." I said walking over to him.

"I'm still taking care of you. It's Friday, your parents won't be back until tonight and you have a birthday party tomorrow. You have to be better by then." He says, putting his hands behind his head.

Oh, it's tomorrow.

"Well," I started, "What are we going to do? Since you're not going to school today?"

Tobio looked around then flung his head back into the couch cushions, eyes glued to the ceiling.

"I don't know, but i'm hungry." He says.

I huff and walk over to my kitchen before Tobio stops me, "Don't waste your time, I already looked. They're empty by the way."

I smiled awkwardly and turned back around, "Well then, um... do you wanna go to the store? There's one down the street."

"Yeah,-" Tobio gets up from the couch and grabs his shirt from the adjacent coffee table, throwing it over his head and onto his body.

fuck.

"-let's go." He finishes, walking over towards the door.

Everything about that boy astonished me. The way he moves, the way he pouts when he tries to be nicer than usual, the way he looks at the volleyball when that's the only thing he's concentrated on,

Everything about him.

"Hey, stop staring at me and c'mon." He says, waving his hand in my direction.

I shook my thoughts away and followed him out the door. After a few minutes he suddenly stopped in his tracks, causing me to bump into him from behind.

"Hey, what the hell?" I said after catching myself.

He stood there for a moment, then turned around to face me, "I don't know where i'm going." He says, blankly staring down at me.

I sigh and walk past him, not saying a word. He lives on this same street, you cannot tell me he's never been to this store.

His footsteps scurry behind me, "Hey don't walk too fast, you're sick remember?" He says as he walks up behind me.

"I'll be fine Tobio, but thank you for the concern." I say with a smirk.

He pouts and turns his face away from me, "whatever."

We pass over the summit of a hill, the store peaking over the other side. I point it out, "That's it" I say.

We walked into the rather small supermarket, Tobio immediately heading off to find something for himself. We walked through every isle, Tobio grabbing something every once in a while.

We passed the dairy section, the cookie dough catching my eye.

"Hey Tobio, can you bake?" I asked.

He made a confused face and turned around, "I'd say i'm a mediocre baker, why?" he asked.

I pointed to the cookie dough, his eyes widening once he understood what I wanted.

"I can make you some if you want, but you have to help." He says with a smirk.

I pouted, "But, i'm sick." I said with a frown.

"Ugh fine." He sighed as he added the cookie dough to his large pile of snacks.

I smiled, he's so nice.

------------------------------

"Hurry up they're gonna burn!" Tobio yelled in my ear.

"Jesus Christ, can you not yell!" I screamed back.

I threw open the oven door and pulled the pan out of the oven, setting them on the counter in front of Tobio.

They were a perfect golden brown color, and looked like they were made in a bakery.

I sighed and looked at Tobio, both of us smiling in relief. I held my hand up to him, and we high fived in celebration.

"They look so good." I said to him.

I saw his hand reach toward them, and instinctively my hand flew towards his. I blushed hard when I realized I was holding hands with him, "They have to cool off." I said softly.

He nodded and walked away.

And I scared him off.

I sighed and leaned against the counter, why was he still here? I feel better, I have since this morning.

He remembered my birthday party, even I didn't remember it, and its my birthday.

I wonder if he got me a present, I hope he didn't.

I turned back around to face the cookies, analyzing them. They weren't steaming anymore.

I didn't wanna bother Tobio, so I grabbed one and silently ate it in the lonely kitchen.

After a couple of minutes, I heard footsteps walk up beside me.

Tobio grabbed a cookie, then leaned against the counter beside me. We sat in silence for a good bit.

Yeah I made it awkward.

I looked out the window in front of us, the sun shone onto the blooming flowers. Tomorrow is my birthday, and I hope he will still show up.

------------

catch me at school writing instead of doing my 40 missing French assignments😼