6 | My Parents, the Romantics

What woke me was light shining dimly through my eyelids. I rubbed my eyes and sat up looking around to see what was going on. I saw Kageyama laying below me, sleeping peacefully. I smiled and looked towards the light that awoke me.

The sun was coming up.

I looked back at the sleeping boy and sighed. I didn't want to wake him up, but it was his idea to come see the sunrise. I tapped his shoulder and said his name.

"Kageyama, wake up."

His eyes opened and were blinded by light before he slung his arm up to cover the sun. I pointed over the cliff to the sunrise, warm pinks and yellows painted around the giant star. He smiled slightly and sat up.

"How did you sleep?" He asked while he stretched.

I smiled, "Very good, actually." I said.

I looked over to the sunrise and watched in silence. The sight was so beautiful it made it hard to look away. The brightness of the light gradually got greater, so eventually I had to look away for a second to let my eyes recover.

I realized the time and jumped up. The sun rose around six thirty a.m. and my parents would wake in thirty minutes. I gathered my stuff and looked at Kageyama and let out a sigh. I didn't want to leave, but if my parents walked in to wake me up and it was a lump of pillows in my bed... they would be livid.

"Where are you going?" The boy asked. He looked kind of sad, like he was being left all alone, and he kind of was. I felt really bad for leaving this quickly, but I just couldn't risk seeing the bad side of my parents. They weren't always giddy like last night.

I looked into his eyes and sighed. "I'm so sorry, my parents..." I trailed off. He nodded in understanding and it made me feel even worse. I turned to walk away, but turned back before making my way home.

"Hey" I said. He looked back to me and cocked his head. "Yeah?" He asked.

I smiled, "Text me".

------------------------------

I flopped on my bed after climbing back through my window. I was really scared I wouldn't make it back before my parents woke up, but judging by the lack of noise throughout the house, I think I made it. I breathed quickly, catching my breath after rushing home.

I thought about the events that played out earlier. I can't believe I fell asleep on him, am I really that comfortable around him? I'm really self conscious about sleeping in front of people, even my parents. Even so, he didn't seem to mind it at all... He seemed like he enjoyed it. I enjoyed it too, to be honest.

A knock at the door.

I pretended to be asleep and talked in a low tone, "Yeah."

My mom opened the door and peeked her head in. She had just woken up herself judging by her fatigued body and facial expressions. She had a coffee mug in her hand and held it close to her body, as if she were scared she would drop it.

"It's time to wake up." She said quietly. Another thing that sucked when my parents were home... I had to wake up at seven in the morning.

On the weekend.

"Okay." I said and she left the room.

I was still really tired from staying up most of the night, but I knew I could take a nap later when my parents did their weekly 'hours on end' run. They leave for like three hours every saturday, it really helps me on occasions like this, although these 'occasions' don't happen often.

I swung my legs over the side of my bed and grabbed my phone off of my nightstand. No texts yet.

My mom was cooking breakfast when I arrived downstairs, she was still in her pajamas and her hair was a mess... I couldn't say much though I looked rough too.

I sat at the island and put my head in my hand as I scrolled through the news on my phone. Nothing extraordinary, just politics and the normal small crimes.

*Ding*

A text from Kageyama.

Blueberry Boy: Did you make it home ok?

"Who was that?" My mom asked, her smile stretched ear to ear. I shook my head and chuckled.

"A friend from school." I said with a light tone. I could tell she was happy, I was finally getting the friends she wanted me to have, and I really didn't mind having those friends either.

I texted back:

(y/n): yep, you too?

My mom took the food off the stove and walked over to the chair beside me and sitting. She was holding in her excitement for my sake, but it wasn't really working as she planned... I could still tell.

"So..." she said, "what's her name?"

Oh no. I have to tell her it's a guy, then she's really gonna be excited. I sighed and threw my head down in defeat... there was no turning back now.

"His name is Tobio Kageyama." I said flatly. I could feel her face light up even though she didn't respond. She's always had the dream of me bringing a boy home, but y'know, that hasn't happened yet.

She got up from her chair and walked back over to the counter where the food was. I never lifted my head to see what she was doing, but I heard her whisper under her breath:

"Just wait until your father gets home, he's worse than me." She muttered.

What's bad is that I know he is. He's like a highschool fangirl watching a terrible romcom with corny romance when it comes to stuff like this.

I heard the door click open and the sound of grocery bags crinkling. This was it.

My mom gasped, "Speak of the devil." she said. He looked at her confused and put the groceries he had just bought on the table.

We both looked at him and then looked at eachother. I knew nothing I could do would make her not tell him, so I just looked back at the table and turned my phone back to messages.

Blueberry Boy: Yeah

(y/n): good

"Guess what!" My mom said. My dad shrugged his shoulders and shot me a look like I broke her. I blushed and just looked back to my phone once again.

"(y/n)'s texting a boy." she said slyly. I facepalmed and prepared for my dad's reaction.

He gasped deeply, "Really?" He asked. He was giggling like a little girl as he said this, which only made me blush more.

"His name's Tobio Kageyama!" My mom yelled. My dad only laughed more.

"So sophisticated!" He replied.

This is why I don't tell my parents things.