9 | King of the Court

The three of us walked down the road silently. I couldn't bring myself to ask what made Kageyama so worked up... so I looked to the ground and stayed silent. I saw the side road Hinata usually pops out of in the mornings, so I knew he would have to turn off soon.

As if he read my mind, he put a hand on my shoulder. 'Are you gonna be okay?' he mouthed, which I nodded to in response. He jumped onto his bike and rode up to Kageyama. They were whispering to each other, but I didn't want to eavesdrop so I toned them out until I heard a stern "Shut up" from Kageyama.

Hinata waved to me before turning down the road, riding off into the distance.

I still trailed slightly behind Kageyama as we walked down the street. He walked as if he were annoyed, with his hands in his pockets and his head tilted downwards. I didn't like the silence, it made me feel anxious... as if I were being watched from every window in the passing houses.

"Did it hurt?" He asked. I lifted my head to look at him, he had shifted his pace to match mine, walking slightly behind where he had been.

I looked down to my hand, which wasn't as red as before. It only had traces of pink that dusted my knuckles. "No" I said softly. That was only half of a lie. It did hurt, but it wasn't enough to make me worry about anything.

"I'm sorry, this is my fault." he apologized. I couldn't tell if he was apologizing for the confrontation with the french fry or for my hand. A small breath left my lips, "It's okay, I'm okay." I say with a small smile. Truth be told, the smile was fake, I was worried.

Kageyama stopped in his tracks, continuing to look forward. "Do you know why I introduced you to the team, why I chose them?" He asked.

I shook my head slightly.

One drop.

"You and the team are the closest people I have to friends." He said, his tone solemn.

Another.

I looked up to him. His gaze was set on the ground now. I knew he was hurt in the past, I could tell by the distrust in his eyes when we first met, I just hadn't pinpointed it before... I don't know much about his past.

"In middle school, I wasn't the most pleasant person... They called me the 'King of the Court', which sounds like it would be a good thing." He continued.

That explains why the tall guy called me the 'queen'... he was referring to Kageyama and I's friendship I assume.

A mist fills the air.

"They called me a tyrant, a ruthless ruler. I was controlling and -"

"But you're not anymore."

Rain breaks through the air, giant droplets enclosing us.

"Shit" He said flatly, looking up into the air.

I put my hood up and felt a hand on my already drenched shoulder. "My house is closer, let's go."

I didn't question anything, I wanted to get out of the rain. He led in front of me, and I followed like a little duckling. His jacket had no hood, so he was even more soaked than I, his hair flattened even more on his head from the water's weight.

We approached a house with blue hydrangeas planted in the front, and a small balcony poking out of the side. Kageyama fumbled in his pockets and soon pulled out a small key, which he stuck into the lock and opened the door. We both rushed inside and closed the door.

I sighed and took in my surroundings, his place was nice. It was clean and nicely decorated... mostly with neutral colored things, greys and browns.