Chapter 24: It Goes Wrong...

-crawls into hiding place-

Good luck..... 

Frank's POV:

Tonight's my... date... with Jay. I really don't want to do this but I have no other choice. I just wanna be left alone. It's like there's nothing I can do anymore.

We're just going out to dinner at the cafe. Unfortunately, neither Maddy or Emily are working- I have a feeling Jay did that on purpose. But luckily, Christa is. She's a coworker and friend of Maddy's.

I really really really don't wanna go, but Christa knows to step in if needed- and we know the seat sections she's working, so she'll be our waitress if I can get Jay to sit over there.

And if things get too bad, I'll ask for chicken tenders- I don't eat meat. She'll go "get them" but really text Emily who will be hanging out with the others back at the Way's.

Gerard will call saying there's an emergency or something and I'll leave. Genius, right?

Also.... My Mom told me that she's going to try dating again. A coworker asked her out for coffee next Saturday. Fun... I'm not saying I don't want her to date again, but whoever the hell she goes out with better be able to pass all the tests I put them through. As in questions, detective work that my friend's will help me with, and a long hard stare down- the usual, you know?

Hey, I don't need a step parent who's like my Dad. Just saying.

But Mom's out of town right now.

***

"Okay remember- just ask Christa for steak or something, and she'll text Emily, I'll call you and come pick you up. And don't forget-" Gerard started as we stood watching out my living room door. Mom's not home and we're all over here. After I leave, him, Maddy, and Emily are walking over to his house.

"Gee-" I interrupted, turning to face him. "I know, trust me. We've been over this a million times." I said. He sighed. " I know, but-" I put a finger to his lips.

"Gerard, I'll be fine. I promise." I said, pulling him in for a quick kiss. He physically relaxed a little and we stood there together for a moment before I pulled away to the sound of a car door closing.

I sighed. "Here we go." and there was a knock at the door.

Jamia had to pull Gerard away from the door as I opened it. "Jay..." I said. "Hey Frank. Ready to go?" he asked- what- nicely?

Oh god, I'm gonna die aren't I?

"Not really, but I might as well just get it over with." I said quietly. Jay let out a short laugh and waved to the others before turning and walking back out to his car. I sent the others a pleading glance before turning to walk out but Gerard ran over to kiss me once more before I left.

Then, I reluctantly walked out and got into Jay's car. "So, the cafe on sixth, right?" he asked as he started the car. I nodded in confirmation and turned to look out the window.

"Sounds good." it was silent for the rest of the drive.

Jay was being... okay so far. He held the door to the cafe open for me which was... odd.

We ordered instantly- drinks first. Just two waters.

For food, Jay ordered a veggie burger and I decided to have a small plate of the fries the others and I always get when we come here.

"So, what's been going on?" Jay asked casually as we waited for Christa to get back with our drinks. It took everything in me not to roll my eyes. "Not much, you?" I replied instead. "Well, I might be moving to Minnesota. Mom got a new job offer and I might be going with her." he shrugged.