Silent

As I walk into the studio, A smile splits across my face as I see my best friend, Kaisha. Sometimes it's hard to make friends while you're, well, me. Travelling all the time makes it tough. Some people just fade away to the dregs of time, some try to kill me, others, well, I don't even know what happens to them. but Kaisha is a good one. She stays. As I step in, I see Kaisha cover her mouth as Noel, a different member of our little group, shakes her head. Something is wrong. I jog up to them, straining my ears to listen to what they're saying.   "Oh no!" I hear Kaisha groan. I walk up behind her, touching her shoulder.    "What's wrong?" I ask, looking between the two of them. Kaisha looks at me, her hazel eyes troubled with concern.   "Noelle lost her voice." She finally says. My mouth drops open. This is bad, we have-   "Crap! The performance is tomorrow!" Savanna says, coming in from the other room, finishing my thought for me. Noelle glares at her, mouthing the words, "not helping." She sticks her sucker back into her mouth. leaning against the wall sulking.   "So you can't sing..." Kaisha days quietly. Shaking her head and heaving a sigh. Noelle shakes her head and runs her finger down her face like a tear. I laugh and Noelle glares at me before laughing, which makes her throat dive into a deeper pain it's already in. She stops pretty quickly. The three of us join the rest of the girls in the other room.    "Will you tell Jen?" I hear a whispered croak come from beside me. I flinch at hearing the scratch in her voice. Ouch.   "Sure" I reply, "now put that sucker back in your mouth." Kaisha giggles and starts walking towards the corridor that Jen went into. Noel runs past me, Beating me to Jen. She looks at her with a mock serious face, eyes wide and mouth shaped into an "O"   "I'm supposed to tell you that Noelle is kinda dying and she can't sing." I say, translating for Noel. Jen smiles and Kaisha laughs at my exaggeration. But soon enough, she's got me back on track.    "Ready to meet a professional jazz player?" Kaisha asks, grinning at me. My heart jumps a little. I've met a lot of people, but whenever I meet someone who made a mark on music, my heart just starts to fly and I'm so excited. (You should have seen me fangirl when I met Duke Ellington).   "Let's go." I reply, Looking at all my friends, As Kaisha, Brooke C., Camille, Kenna, and Me walk in together, I'm suddenly nervous. I grab Kaisha's hand, my insides churning. Then the other Brooke says something so ironic that it chases away all my fears and almost makes me laugh.   "Let's make history." Brooke smirks. I glance over at her and grin,   "If you only knew."